Wednesday 4 September 2024

They crush olives among the terraces; they tread the winepresses, yet suffer thirst. – Job 24:11

Today's Scripture Reading (September 4, 2024): Job 24

Many years ago, I visited a small town with an unusual museum. The museum was called the Gopher Hole Museum. I had gone to this small town just to see the museum and had no idea what I should expect. The museum was housed in an old house, and as I entered the museum, I saw a book containing some of the fan letters that the museum had received over the years.

The binder also contained some of the hate mail. A whole section of the binder was dedicated to letters from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) protesting the museum. As I stood at the museum's entrance, the curator mused that PETA might not know what a gopher was.

The gopher is a ground squirrel considered to be a pest on the Great Plains. They are everywhere. Driving down the road, it is often hard not to hit them. They are a plague to the farmers as they try to raise their crops. If you wander around a field, you have to be careful where you place your foot because you could easily sprain your ankle stepping into an actual gopher hole, not the museum.

The museum consisted of various scenes where stuffed gophers could be seen doing very human things. One scene featured a few gophers playing pool. Another featured a wedding. Another showed a church service, including a pastor and a congregation, and even an angel floating just over the pastor and his pulpit. All the gophers were appropriately dressed for the scenes in which they appeared.

I have no idea how the museum received its gophers. PETA obviously believed that the gophers were obtained through non-ethical means. Or maybe it is just the display that PETA finds distasteful. However, treating animals ethically is not just a PETA concern. Deuteronomy also stresses the ethical treatment of animals. Deuteronomy 25 makes this command. "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain" (Deuteronomy 25:4). The idea was that it wasn't ethical to make an ox tread the grain, part of the process of breaking the grain away from the husk, while restricting the ox so that it could not feed. If you were using an ox to tread the grain, then sharing the grain with the ox is part of the cost of getting an ox to do the work.

Job muses about the plight of people experiencing poverty. In Job's day, the poor struggled to survive, and ethical treatment was not a priority. Job watched them crush the olives yet not benefit from the food created with the oil. They would crush the grapes and yet not be able to drink the wine.

The plight of people experiencing poverty hasn't changed. These individuals are used to create wealth but are not invited to share in the spoils. Laws are designed to help the rich but place an extra burden on the poor. We worry about the ethical treatment of animals, and yet we do nothing about the ethical treatment of those who occupy the position of least among us. Jesus left us with this comment:

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me' (Matthew 25:34-36; 40).

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 25 & 26

No comments:

Post a Comment