Sunday 15 September 2024

Bear with me a little longer and I will show you that there is more to be said in God's behalf. – Job 36:2

Today's Scripture Reading (September 15, 2024): Job 36

Seventeenth-century theologian John Trapp tells a story about an interruption to Aristotle's day. The story involves "a great trifler" who had come before the great philosopher and made an empty discourse in his presence. After presenting his idea to the philosopher and speaking for an extended period, the man cried for mercy from Aristotle for troubling him for so long. Aristotle replied, "You have not troubled me at all, for I haven't listened to scarcely a word you have said." I am not nearly as intelligent as Aristotle, but I recognize the reaction. I have occasionally allowed my mind to wander when talking with someone and, later in the conversation, realized that I had no idea what the person with whom I was conversing was saying. But I have never been brazen enough to admit I had given up listening.

Elihu asks for patience because he still has a little more to say, although what Elihu has to say is more than just a little. But he also recognizes that he is losing his audience. Job and his friends have stopped listening, so Elihu promises to make what he has to say short, although he fails to follow through on the promise.

But Elihu does something here that is very courageous. While Job's older friends leaned on their understanding of tradition, ancient sayings, and shared wisdom. Elihu declares that he is speaking on behalf of God. Elihu apparently knows precisely what God thinks about the situation, enough so that he believes he can speak for God.

As a pastor, I hope to speak for God, but I admit that I am seldom sure enough to say it out loud. In fact, "God told me are" words that I try to avoid. For one thing, the words stop any conversation. What can anyone say if God has given me the answer? Many years ago, I attended a Bible study. The group was beginning to study the Book of Revelation, a book commonly believed to have been written by someone named John, possibly John the Apostle, although the critics are far from certain on that point. Revelation begins with these words:

 John,

To the seven churches in the province of Asia:

Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth (Revelation 1:4-5).

Someone attending the study disagreed with the centuries of scholars who believed that someone named John had written the Revelation. She argued that Paul was the author of the Revelation. We have been reading the introduction of the Book wrong. John was to whom Paul was writing. When asked where she came up with the theory, she answered, "God told me."

What can you say to that answer? Elihu is saying the same thing. God told me everything I needed to know about Job and his friends. Let me tell you what he says. The problem is that Elihu is mistaken. No one in the story understands the mind of God, and we need to be careful if we begin to believe that we do.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 37

No comments:

Post a Comment