Thursday 12 September 2024

But I tell you, in this you are not right, for God is greater than any mortal. – Job 33:12

Today's Scripture Reading (September 12, 2024): Job 33

Many years ago, I published a post on X (then Twitter) opposing the actions of Westboro Baptist Church. I was immediately besieged with people who were angry that I would even mention this Baptist Church. For them, I was being Captain Obvious. Everybody apparently knew everything that was needed to know about this Primitive Baptist Church. My problem was that I did not believe this was true. I also think the evil presented by this church must be confronted.

Just after this incident happened, I attended a Baptist ministerial meeting, which confirmed my point. As I sat in the room discussing a local issue, one of the ministers remarked that he didn't understand why we even had to have the discussion because "all Baptist Churches believe the same things." I was amazed by the comment because we didn't even agree on the topic at hand, let alone with everything else. And the truth is that the Baptist tribe has divided over and over again because of doctrines on which we differ.

My personal theology has often come under friendly, or maybe not so friendly, fire in the past few years. Other pastors in my Baptist denomination have told me that because I believe God has called us to a ministry of love, my opinion does not matter, and they do not want to talk to me. I am becoming okay with that, although it has been a journey. But I don't want anyone to think they can talk me out of my marching orders, which I feel has come straight from Jesus himself.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-25).

I follow Jesus and believe that the people with whom I have contact will only know that because of my love for those around me. If I can love, I feel that will be enough.

Some have argued that Elihu's first statement is disappointing. He has become Captain Obvious; surely everyone knows God is greater than any mortal. And yet, that acknowledgment seems to be precisely what is missing from the conversation between Job and his friends. Everyone has argued so far that they know how God thinks and have all the answers to the situation in which Job finds himself. Maybe they needed to be reminded that God is greater than we are. Centuries later, Isaiah would phrase it this way:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Maybe Isaiah was also Captain Obvious, but I think we still need to hear these words occasionally.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 34

No comments:

Post a Comment