Tuesday 3 September 2024

I would find out what he would answer me, and consider what he would say to me. – Job 23:5

Today's Scripture Reading (September 3, 2024): Job 23

There is an episode in the comedy series "Everybody Loves Raymond" (1996-2005) where Ray discovers that somebody doesn't love him, and it isn't his brother Robert—another sports reporter doesn't like Raymond, and this reporter happens to be starting a new show. Ray becomes obsessed with this sports reporter and what the reason might be for his active dislike. Of course, all of this delights Robert, who feels his brother has lived a privileged life.

All through the episode, Ray asks his friends and relatives if they know why this reporter doesn't like him, But Robert probably sums up the opinion of most of his friends. "Why does it matter? So, someone doesn't like you."

Ray can't let it go, and he eventually gets a friend to help him get into a party that this person is giving. He needs to hear that this person doesn't like him, and hopefully the reason why, from the lips of the sportscaster himself. As with many other moments on the show, the meeting between these two men is hilarious. It begins as a polite moment between two colleagues, but Ray senses that his opponent is not being honest, so Ray refuses to let go. The twist in the episode comes when Robert, who also has snuck into the party for a chance to see his brother humiliated, stands up for him, defending Ray against this man who doesn't like him.

It was this moment that came to mind as I read these words of Job. Job has heard criticism from his friends. Essentially, these men are saying that Job has sinned against God, that God doesn't like him anymore, and Job needs to repent if he wants to change his current situation. But Job doesn't want to hear the criticism of his friends. He wants to find God, walk up to him at a party, and ask, "What have I done to make you not like me? What are the sins that you have declared that I have committed? Tell me, and I will repent."

It is not a bad prayer. I have long believed that we should be people of short lists. It is part of my prayer to God at the end of every day. God, convict me of my sin and the things that I did today that have gone against you. Let me repent of my sins so that tomorrow, you and I can start the day with nothing between us. Short lists had been Job's practice before disaster found him. Now, he reminds himself that that is the point to which he needs to return.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 24

No comments:

Post a Comment