Monday 23 September 2024

Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. – Genesis 12:10

Today's Scripture Reading (September 23, 2024): Genesis 12

A friend's daughter died in a car accident recently. I admit I can't imagine the pain that my friend and his family are going through right now. You aren't supposed to lose your children. I also thought of everything that had to go wrong for the accident to happen. If she had left home ten minutes earlier or later, is it possible that the accident may not have happened? However, oseverour reality is that everything we do comes with consequences, even if that is a fact that we don't always think about.

Losing a child is extremely hard, but it happens and has happened within my extended family. But it isn't supposed to be that way. I remember looking at a picture of my father-in-law's family and going through the picture of these aunts and uncles when they were children. The picture hung in the hallway of my father-in-law's house. I knew the family, although admittedly, I knew some of my wife's aunts and uncles better than others. However, I noticed a discrepancy as I went through the family photo. Either I had not met all of my wife's aunts and uncles, or a stray child had wandered into the photo. I pulled my wife aside with a burning question. Who is that?

My wife smiled and said that it was her Dad's brother. (I immediately noticed it was Dad's brother, not my uncle.) Then she added he had died when he was a child. What followed next was a caution: we don't talk about him. I couldn't think of anything sadder. Not only did this blond-haired, happy child die long before his time, but the event had such a disastrous impact on the family that they had decided not to even speak about him. I admit I still have questions I would love to have someone answer about this child. But I have followed the family injunction, and we don't discuss him.

Famine hit the area we know of as the Levant. Honestly, drought in this corner of the world is nothing new. Therefore, there are frequent famines in this part of our planet. Famine has always presented a grave obstacle to the inhabitants of our world. Then, there were no social safety nets. When famine struck, people died. So, these repeating cycles of crop failure were nothing to fool around with. So, when famine strikes, Abram heads out to spend time in Egypt.

Experts have discussed this event frequently. Most seem to come down on the side of accusing Abram of lacking faith. Like many of us, Abram may have talked a better faith walk than the one that he lives. I am not convinced. Famine struck, and going to Egypt for a while was something that Abram could do. He had faith that God would take care of him in Egypt just as he had taken care of him as he had moved around the Fertile Crescent of the Levant from the Kingdom of Ur to Canaan.

But there would also be consequences to the move. And in this case, the consequences were significant. If Abram had stayed, there could have been deaths among Abram's family and servants, maybe even the deaths of children connected to the patriarch and his circle of influence. The move to Egypt might have saved those lives. However, the negative consequence of the move to Egypt might be that this is where Sarai would find her servant, Hagar, and Hagar would play a significant role in the later story of Abram and Sarai.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Genesis 13

No comments:

Post a Comment