Friday 27 September 2024

Then Sarai said to Abram, "You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my slave in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the LORD judge between you and me." – Genesis 16:5

Today's Scripture Reading (September 27, 2024): Genesis 16

Anger is seldom rational. I have had people mad at me, and I still can't understand what they think I have done. Just to be fully accountable, I also know people who are angry with me, and I fully understand their anger. I would like nothing more than to go back in time and change the circumstances. Maybe the real mystery is a third group of people: People who should be mad at me but, for some unknown reason, have decided to forgive me and love me instead. I want to be like the people in that third group. But anger isn't rational, so it can't always be explained. And sometimes, I want nothing more than to point that fact out, but that is probably not my best response or my finest moment.

I am unsure what Abram might want to say to Sarai in this situation. We know what he said: "Your slave is in your hands, Do with her whatever you think best" (Genesis 16:6a). But I often wonder what Abram really wanted to say. I know what I would have said if it was me, but then Sarai would probably have divorced me. My response would have been something like this. "Let me get this straight. You are upset because you haven't had a child. So, you came up with a plan. You gave me your servant girl so that I could sleep with her. The purpose of this union was so that your servant girl could get pregnant, and you could claim the child as yours. So, everything goes as you planned. I slept with Hagar, and she got pregnant. I understand it hasn't been like you thought it would be,  but how is that my fault? You have got to be kidding me." Okay, maybe I would have left off that last sentence. But essentially, this is the situation. However, Abram knows there is no rational way to escape this. And so, he tells his wife, "Do whatever you think is best with her."

I think Abram understands that anger is seldom rational. Our heart often wants what it wants. And when the pain comes on us, all we want is the pain to disappear. I have had conversations like this with people. They have set their situation up, and everything has gone as planned, but not always as we should have seen. We should have seen the consequences, but we didn't. And we get angry. And maybe the thing we are angry at the most, although we don't admit it, is that we are getting what we deserve. And so we try to push the blame off on someone else.

In the end, I think we get it. We aren't really mad at our husbands or wives. They just happen to be close by. Maybe they need a safe space to vent their anger, and we provide that space. However, we also know we wish we could have done things differently. The real win we need to get to is that we will do things differently next time if there is a next time.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Genesis 17

Note: The latest Sermon from VantagePoint Community Church (Edmonton) - The World of Jesus: Between Moses and Muhammad.

Sermon

Full Service


No comments:

Post a Comment