Thursday 30 April 2020

Now, son of man, take a sharp sword and use it as a barber's razor to shave your head and your beard. Then take a set of scales and divide up the hair. – Ezekiel 5:1


Today's Scripture Reading (April 30, 2020): Ezekiel 5

Some years ago, an older woman came up to me at a worship service and declared that she believed it was a sin for a Pastor to color his hair. And then, as abruptly as she started the conversation, she ended it, walking away before I could respond. All I could assume was that she believed that I was coloring my hair, and she was calling me out for my sin. It was a humorous moment, but one that I had to quickly put into my rear-view mirror because the worship service was about to begin.

That was years ago. Today, I am going grey. That is not really a surprise, it happens to most of us, and often at an age a lot younger than I am. My beard is mostly white, as are my sideburns. If you look closely, you can see a little grey in sprinkled throughout the rest of my head. But I have resisted coloring my hair. My solution is to shave off my beard and the offending sideburns. And to keep my hair a little shorter, or maybe a lot shorter, than I did in the days of my youth. I am not sure if the woman who confronted me at the front of the church all those years in the past would still be disappointed in me. After all, I am still hiding my grey, just in a way that is different from what she imagined.

Ezekiel is told to remove all of the hair on his head. Two things are essential to note here. The first is simply that the act itself was a violation of Jewish law. Ezekiel was a priest, born into a priestly family. And the law is clear. "Priests must not shave their heads or shave off the edges of their beards or cut their bodies" (Leviticus 21:5). For Ezekiel to shave off all of the hair on his head was an incredible act, and one that probably horrified the people around him. I wonder if there was a little more discussion between God and Ezekiel over this event than he reveals in his writings. Like, "God, are you sure you want me to do this?" Just the act of shaving off the hair on his head would have grabbed the attention of the prophet's audience.

But there is more. Not only was Ezekiel instructed to shave the hair off his head, but he was also to complete the task with a sword. So that you know, this is also unusual. Swords are not made for shaving. The traditional way of shaving off the hair on the head or face was to use a razor, just as that is the preferred method today. A sword was a clumsy instrument to use for such a task as shaving. There was a better way.

But once again, God is trying to illustrate a point. The time was coming when the people would be led out of Jerusalem, defeated and in disgrace. To emphasize the element of disgrace, the soldiers would remove the hair of the exiles. But they would not do so gently. It would not be a barber, trained at the task of removing hair with his razor, that would do the job. It would be soldiers, roughly separating the hair from their captives with their swords. A coming reality that Ezekiel was now demonstrating for the people already living out their lives in exile in Babylon.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 6

No comments:

Post a Comment