Friday 3 April 2020

Oh, that my head were a spring of water and my eyes a fountain of tears! I would weep day and night for the slain of my people. – Jeremiah 9:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (April 3, 2020): Jeremiah 9

J. R. R. Tolkien, in “The Return of the King,” writes, “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.” I know Tolkien’s words are true with my heart, but my head often rebels at the thought. We frequently want to do whatever we can to protect ourselves from the things that will cause us tears. But often someone, usually a woman, will tell me that something that I have said or written has made them cry. My first reaction is to apologize, but they then remind me that sometimes tears are a good thing. Sometimes, the truth is that we need to cry. It is one action that allows us to express our grief, and to live healthy lives; our pain needs to find a way that it can be shown. Trying to avoid grief is not a good, long-term solution. Grief revealed in us simply means that someone, or something, has made a positive difference in our lives. And those are often good and beneficial tears.

Jeremiah is remembered as the weeping prophet. And as he moves through the things that God is revealing will happen, the prophet turns poetic, trying to express his grief. He wishes that his head was a spring of water and his eyes a fountain. Then it might be possible for him to express the depth of his grief adequately. But the prophet neither has the time nor the tears to express the feelings of his heart correctly. He has a message that he feels he must carry to the nation. He has work that needs to be done.

But we also need to recognize that there is something beautiful about Jeremiah’s tears. The tears originate from a deep love of the people of Judah. And they are seen by God, who keeps an active record of his tears (Psalm 56:8). These tears of Jeremiah are not evil, even though a great evil was on its way. The tears were good, and a necessary response to all that was about to happen.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 10

No comments:

Post a Comment