Saturday 18 April 2020

He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the LORD. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.” – Jeremiah 18:6


Today’s Scripture Reading (April 18, 2020): Jeremiah 18

Charles Darwin, in his Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, reveals his struggle with the omnipotence of God when he writes:

“...But I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidæ with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars, or that a cat should play with mice... I feel most deeply that the whole subject is too profound for the human intellect. A dog might as well speculate on the mind of Newton. Let each man hope and believe what he can.”

As much as I might want to disagree with the father of the Theory of Evolution, I find that I stand in agreement with him. I own, using Darwin’s phrase, that I struggle with the idea of the omnipotence of God in light of the world in which I live out my days. I see the cruelty and selfishness of the human race and wonder how a loving God could ever have created this mess of a world in which we find ourselves.

The natural pushback is that it is not God who created this mess, but us. But that implies a limitation of God, even if it is self-imposed. We may call him El-Shaddai or God Almighty, and there is no doubt that the Creator of this world is much more potent than any of us, but his power can’t be without limit, or this world would look much different.

It is this question that Jeremiah ponders as he watches the potter work with the clay. At first, it is something marred and ugly that emerges from the process. But the potter is undeterred and simply destroys what he has first created to make something better. God uses this image of the potter and the clay to explain what is about to happen to Israel. What has been produced is marred, and God is willing to destroy that which exists to shape something better.   

But there is a very crucial difference between the clay and Israel, or between the clay and us. And that difference lies in the reality that the clay cannot say “no.” It is not that God has not tried to shape Israel. He sent his prophets and priests to urge the nation toward a better way. But the people always said no. And this not just a condemnation of them, but also of us. We frequently say no to the will and direction of God. We make excuses or pretend that we didn’t know what to do when the truth is that we simply wanted to do something different. And so, we created a mess, and God is powerless to stop us.

Yet, he still beckons and calls to us toward a better way, if we are only willing to hear. Of course, Darwin is also correct in saying that this subject matter might be too profound for human intelligence, and a dog might as well try to understand the mind of Newton. And so the struggle continues.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 19

No comments:

Post a Comment