Tuesday 20 August 2024

When he passes me, I cannot see him; when he goes by, I cannot perceive him. – Job 9:11

Today's Scripture Reading (August 20, 2024): Job 9

The Rabbi had been teaching the crowd. His opponents, as usual, were looking for places where they could accuse him. On this day, they thought they had found a place where he was vulnerable. As a result, they made two accusations against him. I find the order of the accusations interesting. "The Jews answered him, 'Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?'" (John 8:48). Jesus could have answered the first part easily. Not only was he not a Samaritan, but both of his parents were from the tribe of Judah, and not only that, but his father was a descendant of the ancient kingly lineage of Israel; Joseph was a descendant of King David.

However, Jesus totally ignored the first question. Maybe because there really was no good answer. If he defended himself against the charge of being a Samaritan, it would be as if he was agreeing with his detractors that there was something inappropriate about being a Samaritan. In my mind, I can hear Jesus paraphrasing Jerry Seinfeld. "No, I am not a Samaritan, not that there is anything wrong with that."

Instead, he addresses the second question.

"I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death" (John 8:49-51).

It wasn't an answer that his opponents wanted to hear. But on this day, what would get Jesus into trouble would occur a little later. Later, Jesus would make this statement. "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am" (John 8:58)! The message of the Rabbi was clear to his questioners. Jesus was stating that he was God, He was from before Abraham, and he was, in fact, not just "I Am," but "The Great I Am." It was the name God had given for himself to Moses: I Am that I Am. "At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds (John 8:59).

The story highlights something we often miss, but Job understood: We see God only because he wants us to see him. In so much that happens in our lives, God is active and at work, yet we don't see him. And on this day in Jesus's life, as the people picked up stones to attack Jesus, Jesus disappeared. He hid, and in his hiding, Jesus stepped past his opponents, but they did not see him. Jesus walked by his detractors, but they could not perceive him. All because Jesus really was "The Great I Am."

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 10

No comments:

Post a Comment