Tuesday 13 August 2024

Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason." – Job 2:3

Today's Scripture Reading (August 13, 2024): Job 2

The picture we have of God in the Book of Job differs from the image of God we seem to have been taught from the rest of the Bible. And we often struggle with the image. How often have you asked God to place a hedge of protection around you or the people you love? Or have you asked for "traveling mercies" as you set out on a trip? Or, if you have a bit of a Catholic bent, how often have you clung to your St. Christopher's medal, hoping God would protect you? God, please keep me safe. If you are in the center of God's will, maybe that's not really a thing, at least not according to the story of Job.

Satan is coming in and out of the presence of God, and God points at Job. "Hey, have you considered my servant Job? Let me shine a spotlight on Him for you; he is the one to whom you need to pay attention. He is righteous and leads an upright life, and he honors me. Is there anyone on the earth that can measure up to him?"

Can you imagine Job's reaction? "Really, God? What happened to the hedge of protection and traveling mercies? I know I have a St. Christopher's medal somewhere around here. I have served you faithfully, so you might think I could get a pass. But instead, you pull Satan over and tell him, Hey, have you considered Job?"

Maybe. It is what we seem to think. If I am a person of faith and follow God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, then maybe I can live an easy life.

But then again, Jesus spoke these words in his introduction to the Sermon on the Mount.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you (Matthew 5:3-12).

It is that last comment that grabs my attention; if you are experiencing trials, tribulations, and persecutions, that is a good thing because that is the same way God's prophets have always been treated; they have been beaten and bloodied and killed because of me. I have never been able to understand the idea that God is a crutch for the weak because to live your life for God, even in our society, takes incredible strength.

Have you noticed my servant, Job? Have you noticed my servant, Robert? Have you noticed my servant, Lisa? Have you noticed my servant, Holly? Trials do not always mean that you have walked away from God. Sometimes, they are proof that God is pleased with you.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 3

No comments:

Post a Comment