Thursday 1 August 2024

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. – Revelation 22:18

Today's Scripture Reading (August 1, 2024): Revelation 22

In the early days of ministry, I decided to take a Sunday and preach the "Sermon on the Mount." The sermon is found in Matthew 5-7, and the idea was that I would memorize those three chapters of the Bible and preach the words at the Sunday Worship experiences just as they are in the Bible, nothing added or removed. Because I wanted to sound a little different from the everyday words the people were reading from their Bibles, I decided against memorizing the sermon in either of the two most common translations in the church: the New International Version or the King James Version. Instead, I chose to preach the words from Eugene Peterson's "The Message." It would give the sermon a different, hopefully fresh, feel.

And so, I worked that week just memorizing the words. I worked on the inflection of my voice; I openly wondered what Jesus might have sounded like as he preached the words 2000 years ago. Then, I got up to speak that Sunday morning and asked the people to put their Bibles and notepads away and just listen to the words as if they were hearing them for the first time.

At the time, the church I attended had two morning worship experiences, and I remember watching people scrambling to find their notepads as I spoke in the first service. I admit I wanted to stop and tell them that all of this was in the Bible; I wasn't saying anything new.

After that first service, I was walking through the foyer when I heard the first of a few complaints about the service. The comment was, "I thought the Bible said that we weren't supposed to add or take away from what the Bible says." I admit I smiled and thought that maybe I needed to do some teaching on the difference between the various translations and adding or removing things from the Bible.

More than that, the comment in Revelation really does not apply to the whole Bible but rather just to the book of Revelation. The idea of adding and removing books of the Bible was an activity that the early church leaders routinely did as they tried to come up with what we know now as the New Testament and the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible. Faith leaders in the first three and half centuries after the death and resurrection of Jesus conversed on which books should be included and which should be excluded. And that conversation has never really stopped. Martin Luther (1483-1546) made a passionate argument for removing the "Letter of James," calling it an "Epistle of Straw." Today, biblical experts often discuss the books they may like or don't like or even their strength within our biblical Canon.

But Revelation needs to stand as it is. We will have disagreements about interpreting John's words, but we shouldn't add or take away from them. John saw the vision, and we learn from his experiences and even get to argue about what he saw and heard.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Genesis 1

No comments:

Post a Comment