Thursday 22 August 2024

Are all these words to go unanswered? Is this talker to be vindicated? – Job 11:2

Today's Scripture Reading (August 22, 2024): Job 11

English writer A. A. Milne (1882-1956), best known for his books about a certain teddy bear named Winnie-the-Pooh, argued that "Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day" (A. A. Milne). I think that, for m English writer A. A. Milne (1882-1956), best known for his books about a certain teddy bear named Winnie-the-Pooh, argued that "Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday; the problem is that someday just isn’t soon enough. I live in a world that wants it now. I don’t want to have to wait five minutes in line at McDonald’s; I’m hungry and want it now. I live in a fast-food world, and I want everything now.

The idea of how deeply I have been shaped by our fast-food world was brought home to me after a wedding a couple of decades ago. I thought that I understood fine dining, but this night I was about to be proven wrong. Only a small group of us were invited to this post-wedding event. We occupied a corner of a restaurant I didn’t even know existed. I have no idea how much the meal cost, and I am pretty sure that I don’t want to know. But this meal was going to be A. A. Milne’s River.

We began with a menu, but the choices were severely limited. The meal was going to be served in multiple courses, and so choices needed to be made for each stage of the meal. We got to the restaurant just before six in the evening, and the meal would be served over the next six hours. I had never experienced a meal like this. This was definitely not McDonald’s. I also have never had a meal like that after either. I am not sure that I am made for that world.

The patience of Job’s friends seems to be wearing thin. And so, Zophar that Naamathite speaks. Zophar seems to occupy the position of attack dog. And with his opening words, he attacks Job. He doesn’t call Job by name, but rather derides him as a talker. According to Zophar, Job would make a good politician; he talked a good line, but was unwilling to walk the talk. Zophar seems to be afraid that the others were going to be convinced by Job’s eloquence. He wants them to step back and evaluate the proof of Job’s life. Job has suffered disaster because his life didn’t measure up to God’s standard. And now, rather than repenting of his obvious sin, Job is making things worse by trying to defend himself. His friends have been patient with him, but Job is pushing that patience beyond its breaking point. Christian Author Mike Mason makes this observation.

Clearly the discussion is heating up. It may be in Zophar’s nature to be caustic and abrupt, or it may just be that things have reached such an impasse that all the friends are now prepared to level direct accusations at Job (Mike Mason, The Gospel According to Job).

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 12

No comments:

Post a Comment