Thursday 9 May 2024

We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. – 2 Corinthians 10:12

Today's Scripture Reading (May 9, 2024):  2 Corinthians 10

I am a legend in my own mind (not really). Although, I have met several people who seem to hold that phrase as their personal motto. They seem to live by the adage that If I am not going to boast about my achievements, then who else will do it? But that also highlights the problem: what are my achievements worth if I have to brag about them to let people know?  

Over thirty years ago, I was asked (in other words, my boss assigned me to the task) to introduce a particular speaker who was touring the area selling a heating pad. I remember being given a letter-sized piece of paper printed in a size twelve font with the person's various achievements. I was told to read the paper and not to go off the script. So, I stepped out on the stage, welcomed the gathered crowd, and started reading this piece of paper. The reality was that this person had achieved much over his life, including ownership in some local sports teams and induction into various halls of fame.

As I read his achievements, I watched him offstage, and he seemed to be mouthing the script with me. And finally, just before I reached the end of the page, he rushed onstage and said to the crowd, "Oh Garry, you do go on and on. I don't know why they insist on doing that. I am a normal person, just like you. When I get up in the morning, I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like you."

As I walked offstage, I had an answer for my famous friend. I said what I said because you told me I had to. But, at the same time, I understood the desire. The first was to stress that this person was, at least in some ways, a legend, and not just in his own mind. But he also needed his audience to know he was just like them. He suffered from the pains of life just like they did, and he needed a heating pad, the item he was trying to sell, just like they did.

Paul's accomplishments were many, but maybe two of the most critical factors about Paul were that he was a Roman citizen and a student and disciple of Gamaliel, one of the most influential Rabbis and teachers of his day. All of this meant that when Paul showed up in town, he was a much sought-after speaker for the synagogue. It is a fact that helped the Gospel spread throughout the Roman world because Paul was invited to speak everywhere he went.

But Paul's opponents had become legends in their own minds. And Paul was wise enough to understand that those who commended themselves would never see Paul's achievements as anything other than less than the legend that they had built within themselves. Paul also knows that the fact that these opponents only compared themselves with themselves was proof that they lacked wisdom and maybe maturity. And the Apostle wouldn't waste his breath trying to measure up to their imagined accomplishments.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 11

No comments:

Post a Comment