Sunday 5 May 2024

For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. – 2 Corinthians 5:4

Today's Scripture Reading (May 5, 2024):  2 Corinthians 5

How old are you, really? I mean, how old do you feel? I saw an old friend recently, and he was a bit of a wild card back in the day; you were never sure what he would do. But now, he is a grandfather with the grey hair that comes with all of the wisdom that life brings. And he is no longer the same wild card that he was back in the day. The question that occurred to me was, what has happened to us? Is it possible that we have really gotten older? What happened to all of our plans and dreams that we had when we were in our twenties and the unpredictability that we loved? I ran into another old friend a while back, and as I looked at him, it wasn't my friend I saw (don't tell him) but his father. His mom and dad had died several years ago, but as I stood in his presence, my memories brought me back to memories of his dad and the many visits and talks that I had with him. He had been a kind man but also an imposing character. And now, here he was resurrected in the life of my friend.

Sometimes, I forget how old I am. Yet another friend admitted that he doesn't feel like someone in his sixties but still feels the way he did in his thirties. The social media meme is right. My mind thinks I am still young, but my body thinks my mind is an idiot. 

Paul talks about being constricted in this human tent, filled with burdens and groans. I get it. Once, and it doesn't seem all that long ago, I looked forward to a pick-up game of football in a nearby field or basketball on a nearby court. But now I have entered the land of arthritis and compression socks, and while my mind still wants to be involved in a pick-up football or basketball game, my body continually reminds me that it is not as excited about the prospect.

But Paul reminds us that we don't desire to be unclothed either; we don't necessarily want to die, but we also don't like the pains and burdens that life seems to pile on us. I live in an area with an active M.A.I.D. (Medical Assistance in Dying) Program and know a couple of people who have chosen this option. People ask me how I feel, and I am not sure I know the answer. I understand the motivation, the desire to rid ourselves of the burdens of this world and move on to the next, but I also believe that we are here for a purpose. And I am not sure we are best suited to know when that purpose has been completed—the people I know have used the M.A.I.D. Program have been close to death anyway, so I understand, although I fear the program could be misused.

Paul assures us that even though we might be clothed with this mortal tent of this life now, there is a heavenly dwelling waiting for us so that this mortal existence, what we call life, will be swallowed up with a life beyond what we have ever known. We can catch glimpses of this heavenly dwelling in this life, but we can't know its fullness until after this existence is over. Until then, I still believe that God has a purpose for us and that never changes as long as we can take the next breath.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 6

Personal Note: Happy Birthday to my daughter, Alyssa.

No comments:

Post a Comment