Tuesday 28 May 2024

… though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more. – Philippians 3:4

Today's Scripture Reading (May 28, 2024):  Philippians 3

How do you see people? What makes you respect them? I knew a man many years ago who felt it was his right to be called "Doctor." Yes, he had a Philosophy degree to support the request, and I agreed with him; I always used "Doctor" and his last name when I referred to him. But some people in my circle of influence disagreed with this person's desire to be called "Doctor." And while they might have used "Doctor" in his presence, they made fun of him behind his back.

A few years back, I was in discussion with someone over a church issue and was told that I sounded like someone who had an advanced theology degree. The comment was not intended as a compliment. The church is one area where education often seems to count against us. The problem is not education itself, but what we think our education gets us. A friend recently commented that he looked at some very good people in society and argued that works has to count for something.  The problem is that that is true only if you are a Pharisee. Pharisees believed that you might have entered into faith through grace, but we must maintain our faith through the law. Grace exists initially, but works and knowledge or education must preserve it. But that is not where education and works fit. And that is what Paul is trying to get at through this passage.  Listen to his description;

If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless (Philippians 3:4-6).

Paul is saying here that he had everything.  He entered into Faith in God as a Hebrew. God chose him. He lived his life perfectly if we can imagine that. Even his persecution of the church was because of his faith in God. And yet, he was wrong.  It did him no good.  Therefore, it belongs where all the other stuff in his life that doesn't work belongs: in the garbage.

I sometimes consider what my pedigree or even my wife's heritage might mean.  Our kids are so lucky. Both families have a long holiness heritage. I spent my formative years at Calgary First Church under one of the great pastors, Walter Hubbard. I have been in the church all of my life.  I know the church's traditions, but they can't save me. I can't be saved by doing things the right way.  There aren't any special words that I need to learn.  None of it works; it is all rubbish.

If I live by doing the right things, making the right friends, and engaging in the proper rituals, I will end up in hell. I am proud of my heritage and education, but heritage and education play a subservient role to faith in my life. It is all wasted effort if I want to use it to support my salvation. Everything that I could claim is wrong.  It is all senseless drivel.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Philippians 4

Personal Note: Happy Birthday to my wife, Nelda.

No comments:

Post a Comment