Tuesday 14 May 2024

There was a great uproar, and some of the teachers of the law who were Pharisees stood up and argued vigorously. "We find nothing wrong with this man," they said. "What if a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?" – Acts 23:9

Today's Scripture Reading (May 14, 2024):  Acts 23

I admit that there are people I find easy to like and others with whom finding the positive is a bit more of a challenge. I also understand that I see the world through glasses that are unique to me. And sometimes, that causes a level of conflict. One of those areas is Black Lives Matter. The BLM movement has been a topic of conversation over the past few years, and I often find myself on what seems to be the wrong side. I get it; some unsavory people are committed to the movement, but I find that I have an easier time overlooking that fact than some of my friends. Yes, I agree with them that All Lives Matter, but I also understand that Black people in North America have more of an uphill battle than some of the rest of us. And they are not alone. I think we also need to be reminded that First Nations Lives Matter. It will take more effort to lift the lives of Black and First Nations people than maybe others of European descent. People disagree with me, a reaction with which I am okay. I recognize that while I wear my glasses, they also wear theirs. We all see the world slightly differently and are hurt or encouraged by our experiences with different people.

Our belief systems also influence us. I am a fiscal conservative, so I am more likely to approve of other conservatives than I am people with a different philosophical outlook. It is just the way that we are made. I do not believe that any of us are genuinely objective; the only question is the level to which we allow our biases to shape our actions.

Paul has just admitted in his trial that he is not only a Pharisee, but he is also the son of a Pharisee. We have a bias when it comes to Pharisees because we remember all of the arguments that Jesus had with them, calling them, among other things, whitewashed tombs. However, among the various groups in Israel during that era, the Pharisees were the group bound to the Bible to the most significant degree. The Pharisees were the Fundamental, Back-to-the-Bible movement of the first century. So, Paul admitting that he was a Pharisee and the son of a Pharisee meant that he took the Tanakh (the Old Testament) seriously. And that got those who were wearing similar glasses on his side.

The Sadducees were a more liberal version of the Pharisees. The two groups seldom agreed and often fought over their disagreements. Paul's comment had set up a fight between these two groups. With their glasses firmly in place, the Pharisees saw Paul as an innocent man who needed to be defended. This belief would change, but the Pharisees were on Paul's side for now. The Sadducees now saw Paul as an enemy who needed to be disciplined. However, part of what both groups were seeing had grown straight out of their different biases and colored glasses.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Acts 24

No comments:

Post a Comment