Thursday 8 September 2022

Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save. – Psalm 146:3

Today's Scripture Reading (September 8, 2022): Psalm 146

I recently had a conversation with a self-proclaimed prophet of God. Our discussion covered many topics, including the idea that we are in a God-proclaimed pause that is delaying the second coming of Christ. Maybe I am just naturally pessimistic about these modern-day prophets, but much of it was stuff I have heard before, with a few contemporary conspiracy theories mixed in. I have listened to and read their prophecies since my teenage years. There has always been some truth in their projections, but also many missteps and outright false claims.

One topic that this Prophet brought up was the return of Donald Trump. According to my Prophet, God has ordained that Donald Trump will win the 2024 General Election in the United States. He also argued that Joe Biden did not win the 2020 Election and that the election was stolen from Mr. Trump, which has been proven according to the Prophet. For me, the political turn in our conversation was problematic. He also suggested that Donald Trump might become President for more than one term, elected for a third time in 2028, which is illegal in the United States as the law stands. And then my Prophet made a statement which I found incredible. He asked who a better political leader than Donald Trump might be. In his discussion, he even raised the image of the Republican great Ronald Reagan. Was Reagan greater than Trump? My Prophet's answer was, "Of course not."

Again, maybe I am pessimistic, but I have to admit that I am not impressed with any of the current political leaders in the world. Okay, the war in Ukraine may have raised the image of Volodymyr Zelenskyy above some of his colleagues, but I am not sure that he would have become as important as he is without the war. Emotionally, Zelenskyy definitely has my respect as a world leader. But as far as the United States is concerned, I have to admit that my dream for the 2024 General Election is an election where neither Joe Biden nor Donald Trump are on the ballot. And I don't think this would happen, but I also don't want a return of Hillary Clinton. I believe the United States needs different choices.

But in deference to my Prophet, I am also disturbed that Donald Trump seems to have become the Christian Great White Hope. I liked Ronald Reagan. And I also thought that Democrats Jimmy Carter and Barak Obama did good work as leaders of the Free World. But our hope is not supposed to be in an American President. My hope is not in the British Prime Minister, the French President, or the German Chancellor. My hope is supposed to be placed only in God. And I believe God can accomplish his plan even if Donald Trump is not re-elected in 2024 and again in 2028.

The Psalmist speaks a truth that we need to hear. Our trust is not supposed to be in Donald Trump or Joe Biden. We are not to place our trust in human princes or politicians. Because they have no power to save us, God reserves that power for himself, and he will not give it to a human underling, regardless of their name or the political party with whom they are aligned.

Today's Scripture Reading: Psalms 147

No comments:

Post a Comment