Friday 16 September 2022

From the sons of Asaph: Zakkur, Joseph, Nethaniah and Asarelah. The sons of Asaph were under the supervision of Asaph, who prophesied under the king's supervision. – 1 Chronicles 25:2

Today's Scripture Reading (September 16, 2022): 1 Chronicles 25

Several years ago, I had a meeting with a group of refugees from Africa that were seeking a place where they could worship. I showed them through the facility, and then we began discussing the possibility of the church hosting their congregation. We reached an agreement, and an elder member of the African community commented on his respect for "the owner of the building." He meant me, but I quickly reminded him that the building wasn't my property; It didn't belong to the church board or even the denomination. The owner is, and always has been, God. We are nothing more than stewards of the property.

We all operate under some kind of hierarchy, even if it is sometimes unclear how that hierarchy works. I work within a denominational or associational structure. And while the denomination, in great humility, argues that they are not my bosses, the truth is that I know that they are because the denomination possesses the authority to remove my credentials and exclude my congregation if that was what they choose to do. But I also know they are also under the thumb of the member churches. There is a definite divide between those who believe in a "big tent association" and those who are more comfortable in a smaller "echo chamber" group of churches. However, there is an inequality because only certain churches seem to attempt to force the association into a particular behavior, including moves to exclude some churches for the things that they feel God is asking them to do.

I also serve at the direction of my church board. They can hire and fire and question what I write or say. I attach a disclaimer to this blog that these thoughts are mine, and do not reflect the opinions of my church, a statement that is sometimes truer than it might be at other times, depending on the subject matter on which I am writing or speaking.

But the church only works properly if all of these people and organizations are chasing after the same things. Everything we do should try to answer the question of how do we love our communities as God loves us and how we can reflect God's presence in the world in which we live. We may disagree, but hopefully, as we encounter each other with a measure of grace, love, and mercy, we can come to an agreement with each other and continue to love each other's imperfections even as God continues to love us.

Asaph wrote twelve Psalms (Psalm 50 and Psalms 73 through 83). But he wasn't a rogue voice. He supervised the ministries of his sons, and Asaph was supervised by the King, which in this case would have been David. That means that while these Psalms were not written by the poet King, David approved them. No disclaimer would have been needed. But maybe even more importantly, David, Asaph, and his sons were all attempting to follow the God they loved. And following God should always be enough for any of us.

Today's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 26

No comments:

Post a Comment