Tuesday 6 September 2022

Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." – Psalm 126:2

Today's Scripture Reading (September 6, 2022): Psalm 126

Actress Audrey Hepburn said that "I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." I have to admit that I agree with Audrey. There is something about being around people who make you laugh. And there is something very liberating about laughter. To just laugh without worrying about anything else is a wonderful feeling, and it seems to cure many ills.

A friend and I had a good conversation about laughter recently. He had picked up on a passage in Ecclesiastes which says, "Laughter is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish" (Ecclesiastes 2:2)? He remembered times in his youth when he chased after good times, time spent pursuing laughter and pleasure. Still, in the light of the words of Ecclesiastes, he openly thinks it was wasted time. In the process, my friend wonders if he should eliminate laughter and pleasure from his life to chase after more serious and meaningful pursuits. I pointed out to him that the author of Ecclesiastes also says there "is a time to weep and a time to laugh" (Ecclesiastes 3:4). The point is that devoting yourself completely to pleasure is probably a mistake; we need balance in our lives. But to let the pendulum swing completely in the other direction isn't a healthy way to live either.

The Psalmist argues that the mouths of the people were filled with laughter. I love that image. Their mouths were so filled with laughter that there wasn't room for anything else. And because their mouths were filled with laughter, all their tongues could reveal were songs of joy. As a result, the nations looked at Israel and knew that God had done great things in their midst.

In contrast, sometimes I wonder what the world sees in the Christian Church. Sometimes, when I speak in various churches, I look out and see a lot of grumpy people. I am sure they aren't, but at the same time, their mouths aren't filled with laughter. And sometimes, the songs of joy that we sing sound forced and not all that joyful. I wonder why anyone would want to join us.

And maybe we need to remember that it is not just okay to laugh, but it is required. I can't imagine that Jesus and his disciples traveled around the Judean countryside without laughter. No one can convince me there weren't some "Blazing Saddles" moments at night as they sat around the fire. I am so thankful that I have people around me who make me laugh and who are willing to be in my life and call me a friend. We are healthier with at least some laughter in our lives. And laughter is more attractive than weeping.

Today's Scripture Reading: Psalms 129 & 130

No comments:

Post a Comment