Monday 19 September 2022

In the course of time, Absalom provided himself with a chariot and horses and with fifty men to run ahead of him. – 2 Samuel 15:1

Today's Scripture Reading (September 19, 2022): 2 Samuel 15

I am not a big fan of putting on a show. I have never wanted to draw attention to myself. I am the one that goes to a restaurant on my birthday horrified that someone might find out it's my special day. I have never been comfortable in the limelight, always valuing any chances I might receive where I can stay behind the scenes. Some years ago, the church I pastored hosted a Southern Gospel/Country Music Concert. Besides being the church's Pastor, I had nothing to do with the concert. And so, I traded my pastor hat for another hat that I rarely get to put on, that of a sound engineer. I looked forward to an evening of sitting at the soundboard, balancing the music, and making sure the right mics were turned on and off at the right moments. I didn't dress like a pastor but put on a pair of jeans and a T-Shirt as I set everything up for the concert and then took my position at the soundboard. But when the concert started someone came up with the bright idea that the Pastor should introduce our musical guests. I shook my head but to no avail. The sound guy was dragged up on stage to introduce a music group about whom he knew very little.

Being able to put on a show and possessing the power to bring about change are two very different things. Maybe I have been just a little suspicious of people who want to draw attention to themselves. Every time I watch a president or king put on a military parade, the question that comes to my mind is, "what is it that you don't want us to know that causes you to put on such a show?" A military never wins a war on the parade ground; they win it on the battlefield. Life is not about titles or awards; it is about having the ability to get something accomplished.

Absalom was David's son, and he had designs on attaining the throne of Israel. But he wasn't content to wait until his father died and then fight it out with the possible successors. He intended to take the throne from his father. And so, Absalom provided himself with a chariot and horses, symbols of the ancient world for power. But then he performed a kind of parade, having fifty men run ahead of his procession. That last detail reminds us of the purpose behind the march. Horses and chariots were important because they could strike fast and retreat quickly if needed. Placing the soldiers to run in front of the horses defeated their purpose, making it more of a show than anything else. I love how Pastor David Guzik sums up this passage.

Samuel – who anointed Absalom's father as king – was a judge, leader and prophet in Israel. Yet Samuel never went around with horses and chariots and an entourage. Samuel traveled on foot – and as a man, Absalom wasn't worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Samuel (David Guzik, italics his).

Today's Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 16

No comments:

Post a Comment