Friday 2 September 2022

Do good to your servant according to your word, LORD. – Psalm 119:65

Today's Scripture Reading (September 2, 2022): Psalm 119:49-96

I have worked for both good and bad bosses. I have held jobs where I knew I was respected and valued, and jobs where that respect always seemed to be in doubt. And the truth is that not only did I enjoy the jobs more where I knew I was valued, but I also think I did better work. Maybe it is part of the reason why, in recent years, I have tried to make sure that everyone in my sphere of influence knows that they are valued and loved. Some have received that message more readily than others. Some are suspicious of my encouragement, but all I want is to ensure they know their value to the community.

The Psalmist prays that God would do good to him according to the word of the Lord. Actually, there is some disagreement as to whether this should be phrased as a plea or a statement of fact. The King James Version places these words in the past tense. "Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O Lord, according unto thy word" (Psalm 119:65 KJV). Rather than a plea, the phrase opens up this segment of the Psalm with Thanksgiving because God had already done so much in the Psalmist's life.

And God has done much for us. It is a practice those who follow God need to develop in their lives, recognizing and being thankful for all that God has already done in us and our communities. Pastor David Guzik offers these words of encouragement.

Think of all the ways God has dealt well with us. He chose us, He called us, He drew us to Himself. He rescued us, He declared us righteous, He forgave us, He put His Spirit within us, He adopted us into His family. He loves us, He makes us kings and priests and co-workers with Him, and He rewards all our work for Him (David Guzik).

Because of God's actions in our lives, we should understand how much he values us. We are encouraged by his presence in our lives, but I believe our presence also inspires him. Bill and Gloria Gaither, in the late 1970s, wrote the song "I Am Loved." The opening words to the chorus reveal an important truth.

            I am loved, I am loved

            I can risk loving you

            For the One who knows best, loves me most.

God chose you, forgave you, and placed his Spirit inside you, but not because he didn't realize who you are. He knows exactly who you are better than anyone else and adopted us into his family anyway. And that is something for which we can all give thanks.

Today's Scripture Reading: Psalm 119:97-144

No comments:

Post a Comment