Monday 12 September 2022

But Joab replied, "May the LORD multiply his troops a hundred times over. My lord the king, are they not all my lord's subjects? Why does my lord want to do this? Why should he bring guilt on Israel?" – 1 Chronicles 21:3

Today's Scripture Reading (September 12, 2022): 1 Chronicles 21

In the early 1990s, my boss decided to give his staff a present. And so, he bought enough tickets so we could all go as a group, bringing our wives, to a Kenny Rogers concert. My boss was a very generous man; I also had the privilege of accompanying him to a stage production of "Jesus Christ, Superstar," featuring some of the original cast from the 1970s movie.

I wasn't much of a Rogers fan, I have never really enjoyed country music, but I took my wife and joined the group for the concert. I was amazed at the seats my boss had purchased for us. There were three sections of seats on the auditorium floor: center, left, and right, and then all of the arena seating. Our tickets were for the floor, the front row on the left side of the stage. And from these seats, we watched and listened as Kenny Rogers sang and told us his stories.

One of Rogers' running jokes for the evening was that the guys present at the concert were forced to attend by our wives. And then he picked on one guy in the front row of the center floor section and told him that if he raised his hand every time Kenny sang one of his hits, he would give him ten dollars per hit. Rogers has had a lot of hits, so the guy had a chance to take home a bit of money. And the crowd murmured their encouragement to their new friend every time the singer began to sing a song he had released as one of his hits.

I love music, but if it was up to me, and no one was there to help me or elbow me whenever Rogers sang one of his hits, I am not sure I would have made much money. Maybe twenty-bucks, give me ten for "Islands in the Stream," a song written by the Bee-Gees but made popular as a duet between Kenny and Dolly Parton, and "The Gambler."

It is the chorus of the latter song that comes to mind as I read this passage.

            You gotta know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em

            Know when to walk away, Know when to run

            You never count your money, when you're sittin at the table

            There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

It is good advice, shared before the gambler "broke even," a euphemism in the song indicating the gambler's death

David has ordered a count of the tribes of Israel. It was likely an effort to see how big an army David could raise as he defended the nation from neighbors who believed that Israel did not have a right to exist. But there might have been a secondary reason. This event seems to have taken place late in the reign of David. And Joab appears to believe that the count was part of David's pride. They are all David's subjects. Why would he count them when that was something that God had not asked them to do? Israel should have gone to war only as a direct result of God's instructions; in that case, God's presence would tilt the conflict, not the size of David's army. There was no reason for David to count his soldiers. But the reality was that David wanted to know how much the nation had grown under his leadership. He was counting his money while sitting at the table, which is something every gambler should know that you just shouldn't do.  

Today's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 22

No comments:

Post a Comment