Tuesday 21 May 2019

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. – Psalm 28:7


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 21, 2019): Psalm 28 & 29

It was Samson’s error – and ours. You know, Samson, the strong guy with the long hair from the Bible stories that you heard as a kid. Samson believed that he was strong. We have no idea what Samson might have looked like, or how much time he might have spent in the gym, but I suspect that he was not a gym rat and that he did not look particularly strong, and yet he was strong. Samson could do amazing feats of strength. And it seemed that everyone was afraid of him.

But Samson wasn’t strong. In actuality, he was probably no stronger than you or I. Maybe not even that strong. Part of the clue is that his enemies spent so much time trying to figure out why he was strong. What exactly was his secret? I know some strong men, but I don’t wonder why they are strong. They spend hours upon hours in the gym trying to maintain their strength. Training is their secret, and the secret isn’t all that secret. It is rather apparent.

The second clue that Samson was not strong is that the cutting of his long hair was the secret to his strength. Again, I know from experience as someone who used to sport fairly long hair, that having long hair does not make you strong, nor does possessing short hair make you weak. What the long hair signified was a covenant that God had made with Samson which meant that God would make Samson strong. When Samson told Delilah that the secret of his strength was his long hair, I don’t think that even he believed it. If he did, he was one of the stupidest men alive, because every time Samson revealed the supposed secret of his strength to Delilah, she acted on what he told her. As a result, Samson must have known that Delilah was going to cut his hair. Samson thought that the secret of his strength was just that he was strong. But the real secret was that God was his strength.

David realized what Samson had missed. God was his strength and his shield. David’s strength had nothing to do with David and everything to do with God. Pastor and theologian Charles Spurgeon wrote “My dear friend, if you can say, ‘The Lord is my strength,’ you can bear anything and everything. You could bear a martyr’s death if the Lord should be your strength. He could make a stalk of wheat to bear up the whole world if he strengthened it.”

I stand with David. The Lord is my strength. It has nothing to do with me.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 30

No comments:

Post a Comment