Monday 13 May 2019

As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness. – Psalm 17:15


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 13, 2019): Psalm 17

I remember the first semester of my second year at college. My first year I spent at a University relatively close to home. But for my second year, I spent it at an institution that was 1500 kilometers (almost 1000 miles) away from home. As a result, there was more of a feeling of isolation at my new place of study, than there had been the year before. It was impossible to get frustrated, pack up, and go home for a weekend. The Christmas break at the end of that semester was to be spent at the home of my grandparents, another 1500 kilometers away in the opposite direction from my home. But where didn’t really matter. I got on the bus after my last exam excited to see the faces of my relatives who I hadn’t seen for a while; some for months and other for years. So as I got off of the bus, I searched the crowd for faces I knew and needed to see. And when I found them, I was excited; I felt that I was home.

David makes the same argument. With all of the things that he is going through, he is strengthened as he faces his struggles by the thought that one day he will awake and see the likeness of God. Being able to see God will be enough to make all of the struggles fade into the background.

There is a little disagreement over the translation and interpretation of the last clause. On its face, this interpretation seems to simply restate the first clause, which is entirely appropriate in Hebrew poetry. David says “I will be vindicated and [therefore] I will see your face,” or I know that in the end I will be found worthy of seeing God. And in the second statement, he says that seeing God will be enough – “I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.” But not everyone agrees that that is the meaning of the second statement. Some argue that David, while not having a clear idea of what heaven might be like, seems to understand that when he awakes in the presence of God, that he will be remade into the likeness of God. If that is true, then maybe a better translation of the second clause would be “when I awake, I will be satisfied, being transformed into your likeness.” Such an understanding of the second phrase would echo the understanding of the apostle Paul; “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters” (Romans 8:29).

But the reality is that this might also be a case of reading meaning into the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible that comes from the New Testament and belongs just there. Hebrew poetry restates concepts, so it is probably best to accept the NIV translation at face value. God, I know that I will see your face, I will awake in your presence and be greeted by your likeness. And that will be more than enough for me.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 18

No comments:

Post a Comment