Thursday 16 May 2019

May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. - Psalm 20:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 16, 2019): Psalm 20 & 21

Comedian Lily Tomlin argued that “When I was growing up I always wanted to be someone. Now I realize I should have been more specific.” We all know the feeling. I am not sure that any of us thought this life would turn out the way that it has, both for the better and the worse. I am also not convinced that any of us go to bed at night without anything that we wish we could change.

One of my favorite spoken blessings and a blessing that I include with every wedding that I perform says “May your dreams come true, and when they don’t, may new dreams arise.” Because we all know that not all of our dreams will come true, but the hope is that we will always be people with a dream.

Psalm 20 begins with a series of blessings; a series of statements that are essentially wishes for the future of the reader. David admits that even a king met with unfilled dreams, and maybe would have also understood Lily Tomlin’s comment. I am sure there were times that David wished he was back in the field with the sheep, dealing with simple problems like ferocious bear or lion. But his wish for himself, and everyone who would read his words, was that in those times when you wished that you were someone else, that God would respond; in the worst moments of life, that he would be their protection.

We need to be a people of blessings. We need to be a people who offer blessings and want something more for all of us. 2019 Democratic Presidential hopeful Cory Booker said something in April 2019 that has stuck with me. After the Mueller Report was released, someone at one of his campaign stops asked him if he had a message for President Trump. Cory’s response; “I want him to know that I love him, I just don’t want him as my President.” The second half was an honest response; the first half might have been a little surprising. And yet, it is the response that all of should have. We love each other, and we want the best for each other. Our blessings go with you. And our hope for ourselves and those around us, both our friends and our enemies, is that in the moment of our distress, God will answer. And that we will be secure in the knowledge that God will protect us, even when we wish we were someone else.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 22

No comments:

Post a Comment