Friday 3 May 2019

He asked Amnon, “Why do you, the king’s son, look so haggard morning after morning? Won’t you tell me?” Amnon said to him, “I’m in love with Tamar, my brother Absalom’s sister.” – 2 Samuel 13:4


Today’s Scripture Reading (May 3, 2019): 2 Samuel 13

As a young teen, I remember the visit of a mysterious stranger to our house. He wasn’t really a stranger, he was kind of related to us, but I had never met him, and he was mysterious to me. To a young teen, he was some kind of wanderer. In my youthful understanding, he was a transient and was making his way somewhere, although all of that seemed unclear to me. All that I knew was that he appeared at our house and he stayed with us for a couple of days, and I was caught up in his stories. On the day that he was to leave, we took him to the airport. He was flying “standby,” and would have to wait for a flight that might have room for him. I convinced my parents to let me stay at the airport with him until he left, and then I would call for a ride home.

It was a different time, and airports didn’t seem as dangerous as they do today, but a young adult with worn jeans, long hair, and carrying a backpack that contained all of his worldly belongings, being accompanied by a young teen was sure to eventually get the attention of the police. We were approached and questioned. I remember being pulled aside by the police and then trying to describe why I was at the airport with my new friend, as well as my relationship with him. In my panic, I explained the relationship part this way. He was my dad’s, brother’s, wife’s, brother. At the time, it made sense to me. When I got back home and was going over the events of the day in my mind, I realized that there was a much easier way to describe our relationship. He was my uncle’s brother-in-law. But in the heat of the moment, those were not the words that I had decided to use.

The wording of Amnon strikes me in this passage. Amnon is in love with Tamar. Amnon is the oldest of David’s sons. He is not just one of the King’s sons; he is the heir apparent to the throne of Israel. Amnon’s mother was David’s third wife, Ahinoam of Jezreel. Absalom is David’s third oldest son. His mother was Maacah, the daughter of the King of Geshur. Tamar was Absalom’s full sister, both being the children of David and Maacah. What surprises me about the language is that Amnon acknowledges his half-brother Absalom as his brother. But Tamar is not his sister; she is just the sister of Absalom.

Maybe the added distance relieves some of Amnon guilt for the way that he feels about her. And so he hides the truth, at least a little. He is not in love with his sister. He is in love with his brother’s sister. And even though he is heir to the throne, there is nothing that he can do to fulfill that love.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 14

Personal Note: My Grandmother celebrates her 104th Birthday today. She is an amazing woman.  

No comments:

Post a Comment