Saturday 22 December 2018

You yourselves know how we lived in Egypt and how we passed through the countries on the way here. - Deuteronomy 29:16


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 22, 2018): Deuteronomy 29

My grandfather was a great storyteller. I loved to sit at his feet and just listen to the stories he would tell — and most of the stories I heard more than once. And some have stuck with me. I remember the day when he went fishing with a friend on a lake in southern Ontario, Canada. I can see him in that small boat, out on a lake, enjoying a quiet day with a good friend catching some fish. But, as often happens on southern Ontario lakes, and testified to by the number of ships that lie on the bottom of any of the Great Lakes, storms come up fast. On this quiet day, a storm came up. The pair of friends were rocked in their small boat, and finally, the boat capsized. It was the last time that my grandfather saw his friend. My grandfather’s friend was lost somewhere beneath the waves. As for my grandfather, he was able to cling to the upside-down boat, hanging on for his life to the capsized boat as the storm continued to rage; desperately crying out for help, but knowing that in the midst of the storm there would be no one to hear his cries.

Storms on the lakes of southern Ontario can come up fast, but they also finish and blow past. And as this storm blew past, my grandfather continued to cling to the capsized boat and continued to cry out for help. A couple were walking past the area on the shore in the aftermath of the storm and heard the noise. One said to the other that the seagulls were fairly noisy on this day. But they soon realized that it wasn’t gulls causing the noise. It was my grandfather. And the beginning of a rescue attempt was underway. Every time grandpa told the story, there was a little hitch in his voice as the tears threatened to come as he remembered the friend he lost on that day.

I remember that day. My grandfather died in 2002. The events of that Ontario day took place long before I was born. I couldn’t even tell you the date, but I a carry a picture of that day in my mind through the story of that day and storm about which he repeatedly told his grandson. It is almost as if, somehow, I was in the boat on that day, or maybe I am walking along the shore.

Moses, speaking to the people of Israel says “You yourselves know how we lived in Egypt.” But they didn’t. Not really. Except for Moses, Joshua and Caleb, none of those who gathered to listen to Moses speak on this day had ever lived in Egypt. But they had heard the stories. They were told around campfires, they were the bedtime stories of their childhood, and they had heard them repeatedly as they grew up. No, they had never lived in Egypt, and yet knew full well how they lived in Egypt through the stories of their parents and grandparents.

It is the effect that stories have on us. A well-told story can take us to places that we have never been, and let us feel like we were there. And as we gather to celebrate Christmas, may I remind you that we have a story to tell. Take the time to tell it well!

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 30

No comments:

Post a Comment