Saturday 29 December 2018

Then Joshua son of Nun secretly sent two spies from Shittim. “Go, look over the land,” he said, “especially Jericho.” So they went and entered the house of a prostitute named Rahab and stayed there. – Joshua 2:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 29, 2018): Joshua 2

Some years ago I sat in a courtroom with a friend waiting for his case to reach the docket. One of the cases I had the opportunity to watch during our wait involved an older man trying to get out of a photo radar ticket. And he had a number of reasons for why he should not have had to pay his fine. First, he blamed the radar equipment, but that attempt failed. But from there, his defenses went downhill, including an attempt to argue that speeding was a necessary action in this case because he was a diabetic whose blood sugar level was out of whack and he had forgotten his medication at home. (Yep, this is exactly what we need, sick people moments away from passing out speeding down our city streets in an attempt to get to their medication.) And with every comment from the judge, I sat a little lower in my seat, wishing that the accused would cut his losses, end his embarrassing excuses, and just pay the fine. The fact was that his excuses not only did not get him out of his ticket, but it actually opened up the possibility that he could be charged with more serious allegations. The judge, to his credit, seemed to ignore all of the crazy stories and eventually just told the man to pay the fine.  

I admit that sometimes people can be embarrassing. Some of us have the innate capability to insert “Too Much Information” into our conversations – including me. Embarrassing moments dot my life, some because of my own words, and sometimes there have been cringe-worthy moments that have been produced by the people I am with, and often I have felt like I did in that courtroom, just wishing that my friend would stop talking.

Sometimes, the stories we read in our Bible’s can be embarrassing. One of the embarrassing stories of the Bible is that of Mary Magdalene. I mean, how is it possible that a prostitute could be so integral to the story of Jesus. Critics through history have tried to save the reputation of Mary and have said that there is no direct evidence that Mary was a prostitute (and they are right). But there is ample superficial evidence that Mary was a prostitute. And, I believe, the situation might be even worse than that. Pope Gregory I (Gregory the Great) might have been the first to argue that Mary was a prostitute in a sermon preached in the late sixth century (500’s). But he didn’t stop there. He argued that Mary Magdalene and Mary of Bethany, Martha’s younger sister, were actually the same person. So if Mary Magdalene was a prostitute, so was Mary of Bethany. And I think that Pope Gregory just might have been right.

Mary’s counterpart in the Tanakh or the Hebrew Bible was Rahab. And we have the same argument surfacing about her life and profession as we do with Mary. Maybe it is embarrassing that it is a prostitute that helps Israel to scout out Jericho. So maybe she was an innkeeper except that her life as a prostitute might have been the perfect cover for the spies. The truth is that we are uncomfortable with the story of Rahab, but that does not mean the God sees the story our way.  

I believe that there is something incredibly comforting about the possibility that Mary and Rahab were prostitutes because that means that God sees my embarrassing story and loves me in spite of it. I get to play the role of the accused standing before the Judge making my embarrassing excuse, and I know that he is on my side anyway. And sometimes I wonder if our defense of Rahab, and Mary, reveals more about the limitations we place on God’s forgiveness than it does about our need to defend these uncomfortable ladies of the Bible.

Maybe we should just be okay with who they are, knowing that God is okay with who we are.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joshua 3


No comments:

Post a Comment