Sunday 30 December 2018

Tell the priests who carry the ark of the covenant: ‘When you reach the edge of the Jordan’s waters, go and stand in the river.’” – Joshua 3:8


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 30, 2018): Joshua 3

In his lecture entitled “Walking” or “The Wild,” Henry David Thoreau comments “I am alarmed when it happens that I have walked a mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit.” I understand what Thoreau means. I am a walker. And something seems to happen to me when I get outside and just start to put one foot in front of the other. It gives my body and my spirit time to exist in the same place, and a space to contemplate what is important at that moment in my life. But there are times when my spirit does not seem to catch up with my body, and I find my feet walking while my mind and spirit remain trapped in the mundane stresses of the day. And that reality is alarming. I want my spirit to exist in the places where my feet are taking me.

As Israel begins to prepare to enter the Promised Land, they begin to receive his instructions on how the next step is going to happen. God tells Joshua to place the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant at the front of Israel’s move into the land. The rest are to follow at a distance behind. But the Promised Land existed on the other side of the Jordan River. So the nation will be marching toward a river and one that happens to be at flood stage.

When the priests carrying the Ark reach the edges of the water, God’s instructions are that they should keep on walking. It was a moment in their journey when they needed to be sure that their faith and their spirit existed in the same place as their bodies. I can imagine the emotions that flooded the priests as they walked closer and closer to the edge of the Jordan. Their eyes would have revealed the dangers that were lying ahead of them in the river, and every moment and every step brought them closer to that danger. This was not a race. They would have been walking at a consistent, steady pace with each step bringing them slowly closer to the river. But when they reached the banks of the river, their bodies and spirits needed to be in the same place, because the next step was not just a physical step into the water, it was a step of trust and faith into their future.

The truth is that our lives are walked and each day contains steps that carry us toward our destination. Sometimes that destination seems to be a place that we are not sure that we want to go. But it is in these moments that we need to make sure that our bodies and spirits exist in the same space, because there is no doubt that some of our life steps will be steps of faith and trust, carrying us someplace we need to go, but maybe are scared to go. And we need to know that when we reach our Jordan, God is stepping with us into the water – and will be with us as we cross its flooding depths.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joshua 4 

No comments:

Post a Comment