Friday 7 December 2018

… for you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Out of all the peoples on the face of the earth, the LORD has chosen you to be his treasured possession. – Deuteronomy 14:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 7, 2018): Deuteronomy 14

Alexander the Great asked,How should a man be capable of grooming his own horse, or of furbishing his own spear and helmet, if he allows himself to become unaccustomed to tending even his own person, which is his most treasured belonging?” It is an interesting question. How can we expect to treasure the important things in life, if we refuse to treasure ourselves and to recognize this incredible gift called life that God has placed inside of us? How can I love others in my circle of influence if I forget how to love myself? Self-care is important because it facilitates everything that I will ever do.

And so, as I sit through the lecture at the beginning of any commercial flight, I am reminded that if there is a sudden loss of air pressure in the cabin, I should place the artificial air supply on my own face first, before I go about the task of helping anyone else in my vicinity that might require assistance. If I don’t, I won’t be able to be of assistance to anyone and instead will become one of the ones in need of help.

Of course, all of this depends on whether I view myself as being worthy of care. I meet too many people who do not seem to have that understanding of themselves. In the brashness of their outward statements, they might declare that they are worthy. But much deeper down runs a river of insecurity, and deep seeded questions about their worthiness, often delivered by our cultural understandings.

As Israel prepares for their move into Canaan, Moses wants to stress that they are worthy as a people. The nations that they meet may not value them, but God treasures them. He has chosen them to be the ones who would carry his message to the world. And he would shape the world through them. He could have done this through some other group of people, but he thought enough of them to choose them as his emissaries to the world.

But because they were chosen, they were also destined to be holy. Holy simply means different or set apart for a specific purpose. They were to conduct themselves differently from the other nations so that they could be a light shining in the darkness.

As Christians, we too share in the responsibility of being the chosen of God. We are set apart so that we can be a light in the darkness. But we will never be able to do what God has called us to do unless we understand that God treasures us, and begin to treasure ourselves.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 15

No comments:

Post a Comment