Thursday 27 December 2018

Then Moses climbed Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab to the top of Pisgah, across from Jericho. There the LORD showed him the whole land … - Deuteronomy 34:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 27, 2018): Deuteronomy 34

Inspirational writer Shannon Adler argues that our goal should be to “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” The reality is that those who have made an impact on my life are not remembered because their name exists on a stone somewhere. They are remembered because of the difference that they made in my life. It is not that tombstones don’t serve a purpose. There are people who I do remember only because of the tombstone. For me, at least, it is exciting to walk up to a tombstone with a name carved on it that I recognize as being part of my own ancestry. But these are people that I did not know; people who died before I existed. But for those who I knew and had a relationship, these people are alive in my heart. I tell their stories. For the really important ones, like my grandparents, my mother and father-in-law, and my brother-in-law, there is seldom a day that passes when I do not have a moment of remembrance. Something will happen, and I will see my Grandpa Baker striding confidently across a building site, or hear the clear baritone voice of my Grandpa Mullen. These memories are deeply personal and often explode on my consciousness without warning. The last time I saw their tombstones was at my Grandma Baker’s hundredth birthday celebration in 2015, three years ago. But their memory remains fresh in my mind, and the act of remembering remains a daily experience.

Moses was not going to be buried by human hands. Tradition holds that God would send an angel to deal with the remains of Israel’s lawgiver. There would be no tombstone that would bear his name. At the age of 120, he would climb a mountain, and God would show him a land that he would never enter, and yet a nation would possess this land only because of his willingness to follow God and guide them there.

There would be no tombstone. But Moses would not be forgotten. The stories of Moses would be told by a grateful nation. And those stories are still told. Scottish Theologian described the “Ten Commandments” as the universal foundation of all things and the law which makes nationhood possible. The first proposed seal for the United States included a picture of Moses crossing the Red Sea with the caption “Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God” referencing Moses opposition of Egypt and slavery as being similar to the United States’s rejection of the British King and his empire. The Second President of the United States, John Adams, actually told us why the constitution of the United States relied more on the teachings of Moses than Greek philosophy. "As much as I love, esteem, and admire the Greeks, I believe the Hebrews have done more to enlighten and civilize the world. Moses did more than all their legislators and philosophers.”

The stories of Moses still resonate around us. And we do not need a stone carved with his name to remember him. His legacy is sure, both in our hearts and in our minds.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joshua 1

No comments:

Post a Comment