Friday 5 July 2024

We write this to make our joy complete. – 1 John 1:4

Today's Scripture Reading (July 5, 2024): 1 John 1

It was the night that Jesus was arrested. They shared a meal, and Jesus taught his disciples a lesson on servanthood. And then Jesus started to teach on a range of subjects. But central to his thoughts were love and joy.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 15:9-14).

On this night, Jesus instructs his friends to remain in his Father's love so their joy might be complete. He speaks of some other things but then returns to this theme.

Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

"Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God (John 16:24-27).

It used to be that I would ask things of the Father on your behalf. But now you can ask of the Father. The Father loves you because you loved me. So now, you can ask and your joy will be complete. Then, in the Garden Prayer or the High Priestly Prayer of John 17, Jesus returns again to the idea of joy.

I am coming to you [God] now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them (John 17:13).

As John opens his letter, he wants his readers to understand that joy is possible but not inevitable. Love and joy must be cultivated and pursued. It is a garden that needs the attention of the gardener. Our natural disposition is to devolve into hate and stress, especially in our contemporary world. But the Christian has another destination. We are to love the world, and our joy will be complete. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 John 2

No comments:

Post a Comment