Wednesday 17 July 2024

And they cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb." – Revelation 7:10

Today's Scripture Reading (July 17, 2024): Revelation 7

I have found that there is a helplessness in being unemployed. I have spent long periods without a job or without a job that makes the most of my talents. I remember sending out job resumes during one stretch and even applying for a job making wood shakes. After an interview for the wood shake-making job, the interviewer dismissed me with the words, "You are overqualified for this job." My reaction was that I didn't care; I needed work. I could do a crossword puzzle on my lunch break, but at that moment, I just wanted to go to work. I didn't get the job, and it was the first time I was tempted, not to pad my resume, but to remove the educational and some of the experiences on my job application.

During this time in my life, I remember being in rooms with people and realizing that these people had the jobs that I needed. These jobs belonged to them, and my task was to get my name in front of them to be considered for the jobs they possessed. Sometimes, I got frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to do it. One such time was when a Pastor I had known in my teens was hiring a youth pastor. And it felt that my prior relationship with the leader should at least get me an interview. But it didn't. Connecting those who needed a job with those who possessed the jobs seemed more a matter of chance than anything else. Ultimately, I discovered I couldn't earn the job; someone had to be willing to take a chance on me and give me the job. Then, I could either be successful at the task or fail. Until that moment arrived, I could only wait to get my chance at bat.

In John's vision, a great multitude gathers. The multitude is made up of a representation of all the people of the earth. The multitude is multi-racial; they are from various socio-economic groups and speak different languages. But they come with a single message: Salvation belongs to our God. Salvation is his possession. No one can earn it; salvation must be given away.

Luckily, that is precisely what God wants to do. He desires to give us the salvation that he possesses. But first, we must be willing to understand that salvation belongs to God and be prepared to accept the gift that he gives us. Too often, that isn't the case. We come to the table believing that we can possess salvation. We can earn it or build it. But the bottom line is that we can save ourselves and don't need anyone else.

But we can't. Salvation will never belong to us unless God gives it to us, and we are willing to receive something that belongs only to the creator of the cosmos.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Revelation 8

No comments:

Post a Comment