Wednesday 10 July 2024

Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father's Son, will be with us in truth and love. – 2 John 1:3

Today's Scripture Reading (July 10, 2024): 2 & 3 John

In 1925, Adolf Hitler wrote his autobiographical manifesto "Mein Kampf." The book set out what it was that Hitler believed and became the work from which the German Nazi party would derive its purpose. In the book, Hitler expounds his theory that the Jews wanted to take over world leadership. He says that he didn't always believe that was true but that his experience with the Jews confirmed the idea. Hitler wrote that "the nationalization of our masses will succeed only when, aside from all the positive struggle for the soul of our people, their international poisoners are exterminated" (Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf). In reading Hitler's language, we begin to see the reason why Nazi Germany became what it became. From 1945 to 2016, Mein Kampf was banned in Germany. And since 2016, people have protested its availability.

Ideas are important. They shape us, even if we reject the central message. The critical question we struggle with is, "What are the ideas to which we need to expose ourselves? What are the crucial concepts we need to know, and which ideas could cause us harm? It is not a question that has a universal answer, but one around which we need to talk.

Listen to John's words to describe God: grace, peace, mercy, truth, and love. These are the ideas that we get from God. He is the author. When we act gracefully or mercifully, we reflect God to our world.

I got into a bit of trouble a few years ago when I reposted a message from a "liberal" pastor on social media. And I have to admit that I think we, in the church, throw words like liberal around as a swear word. I didn't know anything about the person. Still, in his diatribe, I heard a message about an American election that centered around the idea of reacting to the new President of the country with grace and mercy. It was an idea with which I agreed. However, some have argued that no grace or mercy should be extended to the President. In some of my private responses, I have admitted that my distress is that I see the recent polarization in American politics spread to Canada. Whether or not I agree with the current Canadian Prime Minister, I must react gracefully and mercifully. The same holds for the provincial Premieres (and state governors). These men and women need to be central in our prayers as we connect with the author of truth and love.

I want to be shaped by the author of truth and love. I want to react with grace and mercy. I am not afraid to make peace with those with whom I have theological and philosophical differences. But that only happens if I am plugged into the author of truth and love. So, I want to be plugged in there. I want to be influenced in every area of my life by the grace, peace, and mercy that describes the author of my faith. I want to be influenced by him.

I don't want to react to liberals and conservatives through their theological or political affiliations. The God of grace and mercy wants me to respond to them as people. And we shouldn't be afraid to agree with people, even when they come from a different religion, political party, or stream of thought, when they say something with which we agree.

There is a political organization in the United States to which I find myself attracted. It is called "No Labels." I love the idea. As hard as it would be to create, I would love to live in a world without labels. I would love to lose the concept of conservative or liberal and just be people shaped by the author of our faith. And it is a question to which we must keep returning. I want to be aware of ideas shaping me and give God the chance to be first on the list by ensuring that I am plugged into him and the ideas and concepts he teaches.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Revelation 1

No comments:

Post a Comment