Friday 19 July 2024

The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. – Revelation 9:20

Today's Scripture Reading (July 19, 2024): Revelation 9

I love the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." The tale is one of the stories attributed to Aesop (620-564 B.C.E.) and tells the story of a boy who learns he can attract the attention of the town folk by crying out that a wolf is attacking the sheep. This discovery becomes the central feature of the boy's nightly activity; the boy cries out about an attacking wolf and then waits for the town folk to arrive to try to save the sheep. Of course, the boy cries out so often that the people stop coming. After all, just because the young shepherd says there is a wolf doesn't mean the wolf exists.

The day came when the boy was out in the field taking care of the sheep, and a real wolf appeared. Immediately, the boy cried out for help, but by then, the townspeople had learned to ignore the cry, sure that boy was lying again. In the original story, the wolf ate all of the sheep and then went on its way. The North American version of the story says that the wolf ate the boy as well; we do seem to like things to be a little darker, even with the fables we tell our children.

I think I find the story vital because it is a temptation that we all face, not just in our childhoods but in adulthood. The rule that we, as adults, seem to ignore is that if we want those around us to believe us in the essential things, we must be honest in the small stuff. I had a boss who once counseled me that when I spoke to an audience, I should avoid using the phrase "I believe" and use the phrase "I know" in its place. The idea is that "I know" is the stronger sentiment.

I heard the lesson and tried for a while, but I found that the list of things I am willing to say "I know" about is relatively short. There are things I believe or even believe strongly, but not that I know.

I think this is part of the Christian problem. We have overstated what it is that we know. We have produced minor theories and created significant doctrines. We have talked about prophecy as if it were definite and quantifiable when the reality is that the answers to the events of the future have been shifting sand throughout the generations since the biblical record was produced. We don't know what the future holds; we have beliefs, some stronger than others, but none of them is inevitable. But that is not the impression we give to those who listen to us. We sound like we are sure that Jesus is coming back soon. We are sure that Revelation is a pathway to the future. We are sure that this is how things are going to play out.

In the future, John says the day will come when the signs and symbols will be overwhelming. There will be plagues, and everything will point to God, yet no one will repent, and no one will stop worshipping their false gods. Why? Good question, but I suspect part of the answer is that the Christian Church has been crying wolf, saying that we know things when we don't really know them for far too long. We have been pretending to be experts when the truth is that we don't know. We are just beggars on the journey along with everyone else. All I know is that God loves me and wants me to love the rest of creation. All the rest is my best guess. And that is okay with me because I am convinced I will need the rest of my life to learn how to love as he loves.

I wonder if it is too late for a course change.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Revelation 10

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment