Monday 2 October 2023

Then Haggai said, "If a person defiled by contact with a dead body touches one of these things, does it become defiled?" "Yes," the priests replied, "it becomes defiled." – Haggai 2:13

Today's Scripture Reading (October 2, 2023): Haggai 2

I recently came down with Covid-19. Three and a half years after the beginning of the pandemic, and after keeping myself safe throughout the worst days of the sickness, I was finally sick. Maybe the most frustrating part was that I couldn't figure out where I picked up the virus; I hadn't been near many people during the week before the sickness hit me. I was in church on Sunday and went out for supper with my wife's sister and her husband on Tuesday. And on Thursday, I began to feel sick. Friday came with a COVID test and a positive COVID-19 result. And everything, in a moment, changed. I had to find someone to take over my duties on Sunday and cancel any meetings, and for the next ten days, I lived in my home office and bedroom. My wife slept in the spare room, and I did everything alone.  

I was symptomatic. In the early days, it was fever, severe body aches, coughing, and runny nose. In a few days, the fever broke, and it was just the congestion that was left, but I continued to test positive for COVID-19. So I continued to isolate, even making the difficult decision to miss a second Sunday. But then the first negative test, and I admit that I shared some hugs with family shortly after that negative test, even though some symptoms remained. I had ended my self-imposed isolation.

It may frustrate us, but infection only runs in one direction. Because I was sick, I didn't want to make those around me sick. Some people I am close to are struggling with other health issues, and the last thing I wanted to happen was to share my sickness with them. I wish that it was possible to "catch" health by being around people who are not sick. But that is not the way it works. The healthy can be made ill by being around those with illnesses such as COVID-19, but there is no way for any of us who are sick to catch health from those who are feeling good. I have received four COVID-19 vaccinations; admittedly, the last one is relatively distant in my past, but even something like a vaccination can't be shared with the unvaccinated simply by having contact with them. Infection only runs in one way.

In the same way, Judaism argues that impurity only goes in one direction. The holy can become defiled by coming in contact with something unclean, like a dead body, or even someone who has become unclean through such contact. (Or even someone who comes in contact with someone who comes in contact with someone – you get the idea.) This transferability of impurity was the reason why observant Jews were continually going through ritual cleansing because you just didn't know for sure who was unclean. But holy people could never transform someone who was unclean into someone who was clean just through contact. It just doesn't work that way.

But if it did, that would be a miracle. And that is what Haggai is about to declare.

Then Haggai said," 'So it is with this people and this nation in my sight,' declares the Lord. 'Whatever they do and whatever they offer there is defiled.'"

"'From this day on I will bless you'" (Haggai 2:14, 19b)

Even though you are unclean, I will allow you to become a holy nation. I will enable holiness to be caught simply by contact with me. And then, you will be blessed.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Zechariah 1

No comments:

Post a Comment