Friday 6 October 2023

Then the angel who talked with me returned and woke me up, like someone awakened from sleep. – Zechariah 4:1

Today's Scripture Reading (October 6, 2023): Zechariah 4

I had a dream. It was not an aspirational moment of something that I think needs to happen like Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. It was just a dream, an ordinary, run-of-the-mill sleeping vision that occurred while I was asleep. I dream a lot, but most of my sleeping adventures don't survive long in the light of the waking world, melting into forgetfulness as I struggle to open my eyes and get accustomed to the real world shared by those not asleep. But sometimes, my dreams do survive. And not only do I remember them, but they make an impression on the "awake me" and how I live my daily life. And this was one of those dreams.

The dream happened a few years ago. I was standing in a church that I used to lead, and as I walked downstairs into the basement of the church, I noticed that there was a lot of excitement going around on this lower level. As I walked further into the basement, I was amazed when I came upon a vast section of the basement, which normally functioned as an auditorium a few steps below the basement level, that had been transformed into a colossal baptistry. And the people were lining up in the basement, wanting to be baptized.

In my dream, I immediately went into the water and started baptizing some worshippers. But as I was busy baptizing with others on the church's lower level, I began to realize that something was wrong. Songs drifted down the church's steps from the sanctuary above to the basement. The songs were hymns of the church, but they were sung angrily. A break in baptizing new believers allowed me to climb out of the enormous baptistry and make my way up the stairs. There was no excitement on the church's main level, just the angry music. I walked into the sanctuary with water dripping off my clothes and received annoyed looks from the crowd that had gathered wearing their best clothes. Their indignation was evident on their faces. How dare I walk into the sanctuary dressed as I was, not even dry from my previous activities. And the music continued.

Someone grabbed my shoulders and dragged me back into the basement, where more people were gathering to be baptized, and as I moved back into the pool, I woke up. For a moment, all I felt was pain and despair, the leftover remnants of the dream. But slowly, I became more awake, and the dream faded. Real life beckoned and asked me to come back and join it. And I was eager to leave the strange combination of despair and joy I had felt in the dream. While I was in the dream, it felt real. But once I was fully awake, it was apparent that my experience in this familiar church with a vast baptistry was just a dream, missing all the quality of real life.

I have never been much for interpreting dreams, but I think I have a bit of an interpretation as well as why I had this dream, and maybe you do, too, but that isn't the point here. As always happens, there was a qualitative difference between the dream and the real world.

Zechariah would agree, except for him; it is almost in reverse. Zechariah says that an angel woke him "like someone awakened from sleep." What is coming is still a vision; it was part of the dream. But it has the feeling more like real life. It is like everything that he had experienced before this moment was a dream, but what followed was what was real. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Zechariah 5

No comments:

Post a Comment