Friday 7 October 2022

Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. – Psalm 37:3

Today's Scripture Reading (October 7, 2022): Psalm 37

One of my favorite lines that have come out of the American political wars is the thought that while the Democratic Party rhetoric seems to mirror the talking points of the Republican Party, in reality, they are trying to be the adults in the room on the world stage. And, according to the experts, being an adult sucks. I don't disagree. I hate having to do adult things that I know are right, yet something that is hard, boring, or not fun to do. Over the length of my life, I have watched politicians from various parties try to do the adult thing. And they usually have one thing in common, those who try to be the adults in the room seldom get re-elected. That is because we don't really want them to do the adult thing; we want them to do the easy thing and the selfish thing. We want our politicians to do childish and irresponsible things while convincing us that they are the adults in the room doing what is responsible. Because that is what we want, we are an easy audience to convince. But in the end, it will only hurt us.

I have admitted that politically I am a "fiscal conservative." I am not convinced that debt and deficit serve any of our needs, except maybe the one that presents us with an easier path in our current lives. My problem is that I suspect it will make life harder for my children and grandchildren. I have no desire to lead an easy life while making things tougher for my grandchildren. And so, debt doesn't sit well with me; it doesn't feel like being the adult in the room. And it doesn't feel like something good for us to do.

The Psalmist declares that we should trust in God and do what is good. If we do, then we can dwell in the land and enjoy safe pastures. But the first part is incredibly important. We need to trust in God and then do what is good and responsible, even if what is good is hard. I believe that is why the Psalmist places trust in God first, rather than saying do good and trust in God. It may not sound like much of a difference, but I think it is huge. As long as we trust God, we can do what is good. We can live according to his principles, which tell us to care for creation and live without debt, rather than inventing tortured ways of proving that what is bad is good and what is irresponsible is responsible.

Is the Democratic Party really being the adults in the room? Maybe in some things, but I am not convinced they are fully the adults in the room we need. But then again, I am not sure that any of the world's political parties are actually doing their job and being adults. We give them significant portions of our income so that they will do the hard thing, even if that means not getting elected in the next cycle. We expect them to do what is good and not convince us that bad is good. It is a difficult task, but that is the hat they choose to wear. Now is the time to be the adults and make the hard decisions, which we can only do because we trust in God.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 72

No comments:

Post a Comment