Friday 21 October 2022

All these things that Solomon made amounted to so much that the weight of the bronze could not be calculated. – 2 Chronicles 4:18

Today's Scripture Reading (October 21, 2022): 2 Chronicles 4

If you have given to the ministry of VantagePoint Community Church, helping us make a difference in our community, I don't know about it. And my lack of knowledge is deliberate. But I also recognize that there are two sides to the issue. One is the assumption that if I did know how much people give, I might provide preferential treatment to those who donate to the ministry over those who don't. Actually, I admit that for me, it might be the reverse. I have never viewed my job as a ministry dedicated to caring for the saved. I believe we are being sent out into our broken world to have contact with those who are hurting. I value the time, as little as it sometimes is, when I get to spend time with people either on the edges of the church or outside the church. A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to talk with several of the church's neighbors, and I have to admit that after talking about politics, family, and the societal problems of the city over the back fences of my neighbors, I felt energized.

But on the flip side, if someone begins to tithe, a huge step in the spiritual development of the person, and they give that first check to the ministry, I don't know it, so I can't cheer them on. Every time someone gives to the church, it must feel like bells should go off, a spotlight should shine down on us, and even more so for those who are at the beginning of their journey. In other non-profits, large donors probably get a special call from the CEO, thanking them for their generosity. But in many churches, there is nothing but crickets heard from those with the highest profiles, thanking them for their generosity because we don't know who has started giving.

A few years ago, I received special permission to look at the givers to the ministry, but I never took advantage of the opportunity. Deep down, I really don't want to know. And partially, it is an extension of what Jesus said about giving to the needy. "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" (Matthew 6:3). I get that technically giving to a non-profit is not "the needy" (although if you could look at many of our books, you might change your mind). However, still, someone has to count and send out the year-end receipts (thanks, Lynn), but it doesn't have to be me.

The author of Chronicles tells us that there was so much bronze donated to the building of the Temple that its weight could not be calculated. Maybe there was just too much to count, but Baptist preacher F. B. Meyer (1847-1929) saw a different biblical principle at work.

This was as it should be. There was no attempt to keep an accurate account of what was given to the service of God. Even Solomon's left hand did not know what his right hand did. There is a tendency in all of us to keep a strict account of what we give to God…but the loftiest form of devotion overleaps such calculation." (F. B. Meyer)

I have a friend who believes that the tithe is an outdated concept. He believes that what God wants from us is to give generously. And if we are devoted to Christ, our gifts mount up beyond the 10% tithe to something else, all because we believe that God makes a difference in every aspect of our lives. And so, we give to him with every portion of our being, and we just don't worry about the end percentage.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Chronicles 5

No comments:

Post a Comment