Monday 3 October 2022

Then David gave his son Solomon the plans for the portico of the temple, its buildings, its storerooms, its upper parts, its inner rooms and the place of atonement. – 1 Chronicles 28:11

Today's Scripture Reading (October 3, 2022): 1 Chronicles 28

Back in my University days, I remember one of my sociology classes. But what I remember was not the planned teaching point of the day but rather a lesson that was likely unintended by my professor. The church that I had attended since childhood was going through the process of constructing a new building. The old building was downtown in what had become a rough area of the city. It was not unusual for the homeless to show up looking for help, and prostitutes regularly tried to sell their wares to the men who were attending the church or some other meeting. Part of the problem was that this was essentially an upper or upper-middle-class church, featuring many economically and politically powerful people in attendance. The church no longer reflected the neighborhood where the church had been built in any way. The mission field might have been ready for the harvest, but this church had no inclination to be the workers needed for the harvest that now surrounded the building. And so, the pastor, with whom I was admittedly often in conflict, had decided to move the church. He had chosen an upper-middle-class neighborhood and had drawn up plans for the new church. Now he was going through the procedure of getting permission from the city to begin the construction.

Enter my sociology class. Apparently, my sociology professor was a resident in the neighborhood where the church had proposed constructing their new building. He had seen the plans, and he was disgusted. The proposed blueprints included large fountains and large monuments. My sociology professor was not amused. The money that would be used to build what he considered a largely ornamental church could have been used to change the lives of people around the church's current location. The church could have struck a blow to poverty and crime if it wanted to. But instead, they decided to build fountains and monuments. Making the blueprints even more absurd was the fact that we lived in a northern town that would suffer under winter conditions for almost half the year, times when the fountains would not even be able to function.

I sat quietly and listened. I didn't disagree with my professor, but I did not want to stand up in class and admit that this was my church. I would likely still be showing up if the building were constructed because that would be where my friends were going. So, I sat for the entire class and just listened to my professor's tirade about the social ills of my church.

We call the first Temple in Jerusalem Solomon's Temple, but it was really David's. David had dreamed of the Temple. He had planned its features, likely over and over again as time passed. By the time David's life was ending, every inch of the Temple had been painstakingly prearranged. On top of the plans, he has found the location, paid for it, supplied the materials and the supervisory staff, and even organized for how the Temple would be run. He did everything but build the Temple. And he had used his personal political capital so that Solomon wouldn't have to have any uncomfortable moments like the one in my sociology class. All Solomon had to do was build the Temple. And with all of the work that had already gone into the Temple, not building the Temple would be a hard decision to make.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 29

No comments:

Post a Comment