Saturday 29 October 2022

… cast lots with us; we will all share the loot"— Proverbs 1:14

Today's Scripture Reading (October 29, 2022): Proverbs 1

"All the other kids are doing it." Do you remember using that excuse with your parents? I do. I remember leaving to deliver my papers in a snowstorm one afternoon, and all I was wearing was my jean jacket. Of course, my mother stopped me at the door, demanding I put on my winter jacket. My response? "Mom, no one else is wearing their winter coats. I will look like an idiot!" I think the most often offered response to "all the other kids are doing it" is the precious retort, "if all your other friends decided to jump off a bridge would you jump too?" Of course, both the assertion about all the other kids and the response about jumping off a bridge are overly simplified. "All" is an overgeneralization, and as far as I know, there have been no mass incidents of kids jumping off bridges. I admit that, on that day, I delivered my papers in my jean jacket, but I wasn't far into the task when I began to wish I had listened to mom and put on something warmer.

But something is encouraging about being with others. Even as an introvert, I believe we are built for at least some community. And the call to community is enticing on some level to all of us. Southern Baptist theologian, Duane Garrett, adds this thought.  "Apparently in ancient Israel, no less than in the modern world, the comradeship, easy money, and feeling of empowerment offered by gangs was a strong temptation to the young man who felt overwhelmed by the difficulties of the life he confronted every day" (David A. Garrett).

Solomon's purpose for his Proverbs was that he would give us the defense that we need to meet the daily challenges of life. Solomon writes in this book that we should be forewarned and able to resist the temptation to do wrong. We must decide who we are and what we will do when temptation strikes before that moment of temptation arrives.

Regardless of how old we are, the lure of "all the other kids are doing it" is a great temptation. We live in a time when we tend to live in echo chambers of people who agree with us, so now, more than ever, "all of the other kids/people are doing it" is a very real possibility from the place where we are living. It seems that we are never even exposed to that lone voice.

A voice of one calling:
"In the wilderness prepare
    the way for the Lord;
make straight in the desert
    a highway for our God (Isaiah 40:3).

And often, it is that voice we need to hear rather than the cacophony of voices urging us to join them in doing something easy but very wrong.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Proverbs 2

No comments:

Post a Comment