Sunday 9 October 2022

This is my resting place for ever and ever; here I will sit enthroned, for I have desired it. – Psalm 132 14

Today's Scripture Reading (October 9, 2022): Psalm 132

Daphne Rademaker wrote these words for her song "Resting Place."

            Heaven is my throne and earth is my footstool

            Where is the house you will build for Me

            Whom of you will hear the cry of my heart

            Where will My resting place be?

It is a good question. I have to admit that I struggle with psalms like 132 because it makes a statement that I am not convinced is true. Did God choose Jerusalem as his permanent resting place? I am not sure. As I read the story, I think that it was David who did the choosing, a choice that arose out of his desire to build a brick-and-mortar house for God that reflected the stage that Israel had entered. No longer was Israel a nomadic nation that moved from place to place. They had entered into a stage of life where the people had put down roots, built houses, and worked farms. David now lived in a palace, and he felt guilty that his God lived in a tent. And so, David decided that God needed a house instead of dwelling in a moveable tent. And the King chose his city to be the home of that house.

Undoubtedly, after Solomon built the Temple, God accepted the Temple and Jerusalem as his, and God decided to be enthroned in that Temple. Still, I am not sure that God chose Jerusalem specifically beforehand. And yes, God promised that David's son would build a house for him, but it seems like David interpreted that promise to mean Solomon. I am convinced that God meant Jesus, not Solomon.

Some scholars argue that Jerusalem became the resting place for the Ark of the Covenant, this symbol of God which once moved from place to place but now rested in one room of Solomon's Temple, reflecting the rest mentioned in this Psalm. And that is a nice thought, but again, not really true. The Ark of the Covenant was placed in the Holy of Holies, a place where only the High Priest was allowed to enter, and even then, only once a year. But that becomes part of the problem. Once the Ark entered the Holy of Holies, no one saw it, and the Ark eventually disappeared from the pages of history. When did the Ark disappear? Some point to the destruction of the Temple in 586 B.C.E. Others believe it was during the reign of Hezekiah that the Ark was lost. Still, others point to the reign of Solomon as the point where it was lost. The Ark found its rest in the Temple, but only for a relatively short period of history.

One question we need to ask is if God's resting place was not the Temple, then where might that place be? And if Jesus was the answer to God's promise that David's Son would sit on the throne and build the Temple, then the answer is us. God's presence, his Spirit, finds his rest in our lives. God inhabits the lives of His people. Daphne Rademaker answers the question she asks in the first part of her song with these words.

            Here oh Lord have I prepared for You a home.

            Long have I desired for you to dwell

            Here oh Lord, have I prepared a resting place

            Hear oh Lord, I wait for you alone.  

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Chronicles 1

No comments:

Post a Comment