Sunday 30 October 2022

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you … - Proverbs 2:1

Today's Scripture Reading (October 30, 2022): Proverbs 2

I believe that one of the most important phrases we will ever utter is "I don't know." Which begs the question, why are we so reluctant to speak the phrase? Why is it that we feel that we need to know everything? I am not sure I know the answer, but I recognize the result. As long as we think we know something, we are not likely to hear anything that contradicts what we believe, even if what we believe cannot be proven or even turns out not to be true. A friend of mine had a theory about the creation of the human race. He was a nurse and had a medically influenced image of that moment of creation. In his mind, God formed the body of Adam out of mud and dust. When God had completed his work of molding the body out of the dust, he thumped his chest to get the heart beating. Admittedly, it is a very graphic image, but there is no biblical evidence that this was how Adam was created. And yet, for my friend, this was the way it happened, and there could be no other way. My friend knew this was what happened; therefore, no discussion was needed.

When anyone tries to talk to us, our first choice is whether or not we are willing to hear what they have to say. And hearing is not always easy, especially if it violates what we think we know. Solomon begins with this plea to his son. I know that you think you understand life, but if you will accept my words into your life, if you will hear me, there is something important that I want to tell you. But if my words are going to make any impact on your life, you have to accept them; my son, you have to hear me.

But not everything that we hear is for immediate use. Some of it must be put away, stored, and remembered at the appropriate time. It is a caution that I give to couples who come to me for pre-marriage counseling. In our sessions, we are going to talk about a lot of things. Some of the things we will discuss won't make any sense because you're not there yet. The moment when you will need to understand this piece of advice is still years down the road. But the moment will come, and when it does, this is what I want you to remember. Store this up in your brain until the time when it makes sense.

The wisdom of Solomon and others has been placed in this book. Nothing Solomon says to us will make a difference in our lives unless we are willing to hear the advice and then store it up until the appropriate time. And that is our choice; are we ready to listen?

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Proverbs 3

No comments:

Post a Comment