Sunday 22 May 2022

Then David was angry because the LORD's wrath had broken out against Uzzah, and to this day that place is called Perez Uzzah. - 2 Samuel 6:8

Today's Scripture Reading (May 22, 2022):  2 Samuel 6

Many years ago, a good friend passed away somewhat unexpectedly. She was young and vibrant, a phenomenal mother to her children, and a great wife to her husband. She died of a disease that actually ran in her family, although no one realized that she was sick until it was much too late. And I admit that, in the wake of her death, I was upset. I remember well-meaning Christians who prophesied that she would live and that God would heal her even during her last days. And on the day that she died, my anger burned against these Christians for prophesying something that was so obviously false. And I remember commenting that on my first day in heaven, I was going to sit down with God over a Diet Coke (there has to be Diet Coke in heaven, right) and discuss the death of my friend. And I admitted, at least to my circle of friends, that I was also angry with God.

My words caused a stir. Some people around me started to discuss the things that angered them and the conversations that they wanted to have with God. Others cautioned that being angry with God was close to committing an unforgivable sin and that we can sin against God in our anger. And I admitted that I believed that the truth is located somewhere between the two views.

Obviously, my comments at the time of my friend's death were an exaggeration. On my first day in heaven, the demise of my friend will be one of the farthest things from my mind. For one thing, I will be enjoying a phenomenal reunion with her and many other friends and family who have gone on before me. But I am also not sure that God doesn't understand our anger when bad things happen. I am convinced that God's first reaction when we are angry with him is not to judge us for our anger but rather to wrap his loving arms around us and whisper into our ears, "I know; let it all out."

One of the things that I have always appreciated about David is that the biblical record allows us to see all of the good things and all of the bad about Israel's Poet King. We see David in his best moments, times when he is in the grip of happiness, and in his anger, even when he is angry with God.

At least at first, David was angry because God's wrath had broken out against Uzzah. He didn't understand why Uzzah had to die. But as often true with us humans, David's real anger was with himself. And eventually, David would realize that Uzzah died because David had not considered his path and had not consulted God about how to move the Ark. He had just acted rather than taking the time to wait on God. There would be a second try to bring the Ark into Jerusalem. At that moment, David would do it the right way. But none of that would help David now.

David memorialized the place of his mistake by calling it Perez Uzzah, which means "against Uzzah." And maybe at first, he meant it as the place where God moved against Uzzah, but the reality was that it was the place where David's ignorance caused David to move against Uzzah.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 15

No comments:

Post a Comment