Saturday 28 May 2022

Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, God of Jacob. – Psalm 24:6

Today's Scripture Reading (May 28, 2022):  Psalm 24

German novelist Hermann Hesse (1877-1962) noted in his novel "Demian" that "I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me." I, too, am a seeker. And I hope that I always will be. I am constantly seeking, constantly evaluating what I think I know, and searching for the answers that continue to evade me. I feel sorry for those who believe that they have everything figured out. I know that I don't, and I don't think I will ever reach that elevated position.

Psalm 24 was likely written to be used when the Ark of the Covenant was brought into Jerusalem. It would have been shouted or sung, like a responsive reading between the priests carrying the Ark and those waiting on the walls of the City of David. And the priests remind those awaiting the Ark at Jerusalem that we are to be a generation of seekers. And as such, we will remove anything that gets in the way of our search. Charles Spurgeon phrases it this way.

He who longs to see his friend when he passes takes care to clear the mist from the window, lest by any means his friend should go by unobserved. Really awakened souls seek the Lord above everything, and as this is not the usual desire of mankind, they constitute a generation by themselves; a people despised of men but beloved of God (Charles Spurgeon)

David understood that he had always had a blind spot. There were times when David believed that he knew the answer. It was precisely what had happened the first time he tried to bring the Ark to Jerusalem, a move that had cost him the life of a trusted soldier, Uzzah. Uzzah died because David had stopped seeking God.

We need to be the generation that never stops seeking God. We are not that generation that is sure of its orthodoxy. That is a dangerous place to live. We need to be the generation who never stops asking questions, especially about what we think we know. We need to stop being the generation that continually looks for the hands of God and the blessings that he is willing to give to us. We need to understand that God blesses those who seek his face and presence in all of our circumstances despite the things that we think we already know.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 16

Personal Note: A very happy birthday to my wife, Nelda.

No comments:

Post a Comment