Thursday 19 May 2022

All these were fighting men who volunteered to serve in the ranks. They came to Hebron fully determined to make David king over all Israel. All the rest of the Israelites were also of one mind to make David king. – 1 Chronicles 12:38

Today's Scripture Reading (May 19, 2022):  1 Chronicles 12

I admit that I am a bit of a monarchist. As a citizen of a country that is still within the British Commonwealth, Canada, I have no problem acknowledging that I am an admirer of Queen Elizabeth. Over the past seven decades, Elizabeth has been an able leader in a world that is swiftly moving away from the need of Kings and Queens. I think that Queen Elizabeth has been a stabilizing influence in a world that is out of control. But, after seven decades of rule, she is also an aging monarch. And the day of her death, which will be greeted with the code name "London Bridge has Fallen," is, unfortunately, swiftly approaching.

I admit I am a bit of a monarchist. But I don't believe that any of the possible immediate successors to Queen Elizabeth will be able to measure up to the standard that she has raised. Maybe I am wrong. I really hope that I am and that King Charles and/or King William will be even greater monarchs than Elizabeth, but I don't hold out that hope right now. The day we hear the announcement that "London Bridge has Fallen" will be a sad day. And I fear that that day might herald the beginning of the end of the British monarchy.

The author of Chronicles tells us everyone in Israel stood behind the leadership of David, and they rallied to make him King. Chronicles reminds us that that there was a day, after the reigns of Saul and Ish-Bosheth, when the fighting men of Israel rallied behind the standard raised by David. And when they came to David's side, they brought the people of Israel with them.

But that wasn't the first reaction of Israel. Seven years earlier, Saul had died, and the people had rallied behind the standard of Ish-Bosheth. David was still there, but apparently, the people were unsure of David's leadership. The people eventually came to the support of David, even asking him to be their King, but it didn't happen immediately. And most of Israel was extremely late in coming to the party.

For David, nothing came quickly. But that was okay with David. He was willing to play the long game and wait for God's timing. There is still a lesson to be learned today. Maybe, when it comes to the British monarchy, I have more in common with the follower of Ish-Boseth than I do with the early followers of David. I might not have much faith in the monarchies of Charles or William, but maybe they will surprise me. And perhaps they will be able monarchs, ready and willing to play a positive role in our world, making a difference just like Elizabeth has. And, maybe, as a bit of a monarchist, I will eventually see values in their reigns just as Israel finally recognized the value of David and came to rally behind his standard. But as in everything, it has to happen in the divine timing of God  

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 13

No comments:

Post a Comment