Thursday 26 July 2018

So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem). – Genesis 35:19


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 26, 2018): Genesis 35

Not long ago, a good friend of mine argued that anyone who believes in the “Theory of Evolution” only has half a brain. I smiled at the barb. I am what might be called an evolutionary creationist, or maybe more to the point; I refuse to rule out the idea that evolution was a tool that God used in the creation of the world. The most important words in Genesis 1 are the opening ones – “In the beginning God created …” – anything else is open to debate. And, as far as I am concerned, neither the belief in a literal six-day creation, which I find incomprehensible, nor a belief that evolution was tool utilized by God, has any effect on our salvation. Creation vs. Evolution is nothing more than an argument by which we pass our time. I admit that I enjoy the argument, but being on either side of the argument does not disqualify any of us from being a Christian.

My response to my friend was “then we have to find a way to communicate the gospel to the eighty-five percent of people (it is probably higher) who have only half a brain.” I took the words spoken to me in jest; I hope that my friend understood my response in the same manner. But there is a deeper truth here than just the Creation vs. Evolution debate. Words have weight. I understand that, and yet I also have to admit that too often, words get away from me – and maybe also away from my friend. I often wish that I could be more silent. As a teacher, I understand that there are times when we have to speak the truth, but I also understand that we need to be careful that we do not phrase those words in an offensive way; or maybe that we do not allow hyperbole run away with our words.

In many ways, the conclusion of Rachel life was a fulfillment of words that had been spoken. Rachel had demanded of Jacob that he give her children or she would die. In the end, both were true. Rachel would give birth to two sons, Joseph and Benjamin, and would die in the process of giving birth to her youngest son.

But more than that, Rachel’s death could be attributed to the curse that Jacob spoke over his family during his father-in-law’s search for some missing family idols. Maybe the words were unwise, because words have weight, and there is no doubt that Jacob did not really mean what he said. But here are his words:

Jacob answered Laban, “I was afraid, because I thought you would take your daughters away from me by force. But if you find anyone who has your gods, that person shall not live. In the presence of our relatives, see for yourself whether there is anything of yours here with me; and if so, take it.” Now Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen the gods (Genesis 31:31-32).

So Rachel gives birth to Benjamin and dies in the process, fulfilling the misspent words of Jacob. And with her death begins our strange, but wonderful journey, into Bethlehem Ephrath.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 36

No comments:

Post a Comment