Sunday 8 July 2018

And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!” – Genesis 17:18


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 8, 2018): Genesis 17

My three oldest grandchildren are in a rotation. (I hope that one day my youngest, and any other grandchildren that I might have will join the rotation.) But the idea is that each one gets to spend a night at Grandma’s house, without having to divide their time with the others. For one night, they get Grandma, and Grandpa, all to themselves. They know the rotation, and they know when their turn is next. They start asking Grandma to put the date on the calendar, to circle the number and count the sleeps until the night arrives and they get a turn, all by themselves, at Grandma’s house. For now, anyway. I suspect that the day is coming when spending a day with Grandma and Grandpa will cease to be something special and they won’t mind skipping their turn. But for now, the time with Grandma is treasured and, as grandparents, we hope that we are building memories for them and with them.

We have four grandchildren. Each one is very different from the others. Emilina is my sensitive princess. She is the responsible one and often the mother to the rest, whether they like it or not. William is the artist. He has an appreciation of music. That appreciation, combined with his comfort at being alone, might mean that he will be proficient in an instrument or instruments, one day. For now, he is content playing with his guitar. Henry is the sportsman. He is built like an American Football Player. (He and his brother William are all of four years old as I write this.) Henry is a strong man, always looking for things that he can lift. When he visits Grandpa during Grandpa’s workouts, Henry goes straight for the dumbbells in the corner proving once more how much he can lift, and he always needs a turn walking on the treadmill. James is still counting his age in months, but even now we can sense his determination. Whatever it is that James puts his mind to, I am confident that he will accomplish.

So why this journey down a road centering on my grandchildren? Because I know how I feel about each one of them. There is no boundary to my love. They are some of the most important aspects of my life. And time spent with them is a joy. And I want the best for each one of them.

A few years ago I wrote on the complicated relationship between Isaac and his older brother Ishmael, and how as Christians we center on Isaac, the child of promise. We understand the conflict between Hagar, the mother of Ishmael, and Sarah, the mother of Isaac. But I wonder if we can put ourselves, for a moment, in the place of Abraham. At this point, Abraham has one son. His name is Ishmael, and he is the pride of his father. God says that there will be another son. And Abraham’s response is “I’m okay. I have Ishmael, whom I love with everything that I have and am. Just bless Ishmael.” Maybe this last part is about Abraham once again trying to help God along. Abraham and Sarah were old, well beyond childbearing years. God didn’t need to do something extraordinary. Ishmael was enough.

But a major part of Abraham’s statement reflects a love that Dad has for his son. God may give him a hundred more sons, but each would be different, and none would detract from his love for his oldest son, Ishmael.

Isaac would be the child of promise. But Ishmael would always be the oldest son of Abraham. And Abraham, like most of us, loved both of his sons. And if one were blessed, his prayer would be that the other would be blessed as well. That is simply the way it is when you are parents – or grandparents.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 18

No comments:

Post a Comment