Tuesday 28 February 2012

The sons of Japheth: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech and Tiras. – Genesis 10:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 28, 2012): Genesis 10

It was only the lineage of the Jews that was preserved by the books that surrounded the Bible. And that is normal because it was the Jewish people that were the ones that were given care for the oracle of God. And even of those lineages, it is the lineage of Levi and Judah that received the most attention. And the reason was that Messiah was to come from the tribe of Judah and that those that ministered in the temple were from the tribe of Levi. And everyone who was a member of the nation of Israel seemed to know the tribe that they were from, at least up until the fall of Masada in the spring of the year 73. (Paul testifies in his writings that he is a proud member of the tribe of Benjamin) It seems that it was at some point after that event that the lineages of Israel disappeared. One of the modern problems with the idea of rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem is that we no longer know who it is that God has ordained to work in his temple – we no longer know who is of the tribe of Levi.

But even though we don’t know the lineage of the tribes that are outside of Israel, many scholars throughout history have tried to connect these tribes to the people that are now living on the earth. And it is that tradition that believes that it was the sons of Japheth that originally inhabited the Islands of the world – most noticeably, but not limited to, the Islands that make up the British Isles.

And for me that means something, because what I know of my lineage is that that is the place where my ancestors lived (more specifically, my ancestors were Irish.) I can by that tradition - and I don’t think that we have any idea of the truth of the idea – but according to that tradition I am a son of Japheth.

And that means that I am an heir to the promise of God. I can trace my lineage right back to Noah, and then to Adam. I am the created of God. And so there are places in the bible that also speak about me. When Isaiah speaks of the Servant of the Lord, and that A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his law the islands will put their hope” (Isaiah 42:3-4), when he mentions the island here he is speaking of the descendants of Japheth, and that means me.

And we already know it, but for me it confirms the idea that even at the beginning of creation, God had me – and you – in mind.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 11


Note: The VantagePoint Community Church Sermon "The Cafe of Christ - Eating Dessert" is now available on the VantagePoint Website. You can find it here - http://www.vantagepointcc.org/The_Cafe_of_Christ___Eating_Dessert.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment